Portable preferences?

4901   6   1
18 posts
Apologies if this is obvious, but I had a good crack on Google before posting.

When working with Softimage, I like to launch it using a my own launcher that calls my own preferences that sit on a location of my choosing (one that stays constant wherever I am working using a symlink).

What files, folders or environment variables would I have to copy/set to have truly portable preferences with Houdini? so I could launch it on a different machine and have it exactly the way I want it, wherever I am.

Again, apologies if it's obvious (or indeed if this post in general makes no sense whatsoever).

Also, would there be issues launching commercial and non-commercial versions with the same prefs? (same version number, obviously)

Thanks.

DAN
Staff
5156 posts
It depends exactly what you mean by “preferences”, but yes, there are several environment variables for paths, a few of which are:
  • HOUDINI_PATH - main root search path
  • HOUDINI_DESK_PATH - desktop search path
  • HOUDINI_DSO_PATH - plugins
  • HOUDINI_OUTLINEFONT_PATH - true type fonts
  • HOUDINI_TOOLBAR_PATH - shelves

You can get a complete list of path variables by running ‘hconfig -ap’ (all paths) in a shell.
18 posts
Thanks twod.

Let me simplify my question without all the fluff

How can I setup Houdini just the way I like it, take all those customizations and settings, copy them to a USB stick (for example) and use them when I launch Houdini on another machine somewhere entirely different - different machine, network, city, country, continent…

With Softimage I can take my Softimage user folder and copy it to a USB stick. I can then create a symlink at, for example: cdan_USB/dan_user_folder that links to the folder on the USB stick. I then launch Softimage using my own launcher that sets the pertinent environment variables relating to the user home location and I have all my keymapping and other settings wherever I go. I'm still launching the locally installed Softimage but it's using my portable preferences and settings.

Hope that's clearer.
Staff
5156 posts
Your preferences are stored in your home directory ($HOME) in the houdini13.0 directory (or houdiniX.X, depending on the version), so you should be able to copy that to a USB stick and tote it around with you.
599 posts
twod
Your preferences are stored in your home directory ($HOME) in the houdini13.0 directory (or houdiniX.X, depending on the version), so you should be able to copy that to a USB stick and tote it around with you.
If you want to be particularly evil, you could also try to change the value of $HOME in your launcher script (I just tried pointing it to /tmp and nothing seemed to break, YMMV however).
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
18 posts
Thanks Halfdan, that's exactly what I was looking for!
18 posts
twod

Thanks twod!
  • Quick Links