I can't download Houdini Apprentice version from the website (windows)

5958   15   4
1 posts
I don't know if this is already known or people are experiencing similiar problems..

When I try to download the Houdini Apprentice from SideFX, the download gives me a network failure at 700mb's. I've tried different browsers like Edge, Chrome and Firefox. Even different Pc's. I switched of my antivirus (avast), but still no luck.

My brother, 100km's away got the same problem when I asked him to try downloading it. Making sure it wasnt my network or ISP. Does SideFX have a legit mirror up where I can download the client/software so I could start my journey with Houdini?

Help would be appreciated.

thanks!

Brian

ps. the image shows the fails. “Mislukt” = failed in dutch

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (14.4 KB)

6 posts
try it with jdownloader copy the link and add it to jdownloader.
1 posts
Same problem here. The download is almost complete when it stops and gives the Error warning…
6 posts
Similar download issue happened to me a few weeks back, tried different browsers and even jdownloader as André suggested. Nothing helped and they all timed out at one point or another , but eventually it came goood. No idea why. I'd hazard a guess that it's an AWS issue as that's what the link was to from memory.
2 posts
Hi there, first time posting here…

I'm having the same exact problem, download fails at about 700 MB no matter the browser (I tried Chrome, Firefox and Edge).
3 posts
Having the same issue. Houdini Apprentice wasn't connecting to lisencing server, so figured uninstalling Houdini and re-downloading from website + reinstalling would fix. Can't even download from website now - download stops at 700mb and gives me a network error.
6 posts
Same issue, Have not been able to download newer versions of Houdini since a couple of weeks. It looks like a abrupt ending of the download. Firefox and chrome do not know the initial file size.
1743 posts
There've just been some changes on the server that should hopefully fix this issue, (e.g. it now reports the file size in the HTTP header, which might avoid false timeouts). Could you let us know if downloading works again?
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
2 posts
Hi Neil, thanks for your answer… in my case yes, I could finally download the installer (had to use Jdownloader on Firefox, though… Chrome was a no-go every single time).
11 posts
Same. I tried it some hours later then and it worked afterwards, though.
2 posts
Hi,

Same here can't download Houdini apprentice from both links…
I tried from 2 locations but installer fails.

1 posts
Hello there,

I'll add my input: I couldn't download Houdini from the main page through Firefox… I tried at least a dozen times, and every time the download stopped at some point (not a precise point). The installers I managed to download where corrupted and could not install due to a NSIS error. I even tried to bypass the integrity check with /ncrc, but the install crashed at some point. This happened with different DL'd versions from the main DL page [www.sidefx.com], twice using Firefox to DL (you can restart the download if it fails, FF will take back where it was) and once using a download manager (Free Download Manager). The install simply failed 3 times.

However, I could install the Qt4 version DL'd through the manager from the main DL page, and also the last Qt5 version found in the production build page [www.sidefx.com], even though the latter was DL'd through FF and restarted after one failed attempt (could not find the precise URL for the DL manager XD).

TL;DR: My guess, the Qt5 version on the main page is corrupted (the MD5 was different): simply DL through the daily/production build page and you should be fine, even if you have to restart the DL.

I hope it helps!
1 posts
I'm still having this issue
1 posts
I tried at least 7 times today. I am using chrome on windows 10. It seems that it is failing each time at the very end. Chrome says it is a nework error but I never had any issues with downloading whatsoever. I am not using wifi but a cable connection if that matters. I'll try tomorrow on a different computer too but I don't see a reason why it would not work on this specific machine.
1 posts
same issue, fail at almost finishing of downloading, QAQ
1743 posts
Does it work if you download via https://www.sidefx.com/download/daily-builds/ [www.sidefx.com] instead of the main download page? They apparently use different servers, (or something like that; I'm not a networking expert).
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links