Animating a Houdini Engine asset in Unity

2863   3   1
207 posts
Hi there;

I'm new to both Houdini Engine and Unity, so it's entirely possible the answer to the following question is "You totally don't understand what you're doing", but I'm gonna try anyway:

I've made a little thingy in Houdini, exported it as an HDA, and can bring it into Unity using Houdini Engine. I would like to make my thing animate, however. In Houdini, I would simply use $F to control this apparatus. I'm curious if I can do something similar in Unity, but I'm struggling to figure out how that might work.

I've created a top-level parameter on my HDA named, simply "ftime". I would like to drive this by something - anything - in Unity that is procedural (e.g. not keyframed). So, e.g. Time.deltaTime.

Without knowing any better, I've made a script in Unity, attached it to my Engine asset, and am now banging around trying to figure out how I might "plug" Time,deltaTime into my ftime parameter. I'm unsure how to find/address it, though, and unsure if this approach will even work.

Would anyone be willing to (gently) drop some knowledge on me, point me to a resource which exemplifies what I'm describing, or otherwise help untangle me?

Thanks, and happy holidays, fellow creators.
207 posts
Hi again;

I figured something out, though it's almost assuredly not 'right' (which is to say: I doubt this is how this system was designed to be used). But, in case it helps anyone else who might read this:

--There's a folder of examples inside the Houdini Engine package within a Unity project's Assets folder, one of which is called "HEU_ExampleEvergreenQuery.cs" that offers some well-commented examples. Using this, I wrote the following:

public class animateCrystal : MonoBehaviour
{

// This is a kloodgy way I'm connecting a standalone
// cs script to the Houdini Engine GameObject,
// and then connecting the GameObject to this script.
public GameObject houdiniGameObject;

// Start is called before the first frame update
void Start()
{
// probably should do something here, like maybe the asset query?
}

// Update is called once per frame
void Update()
{

HEU_HoudiniAssetRoot heuRoot = houdiniGameObject.GetComponent<HEU_HoudiniAssetRoot>();

// Query the gameObject
HEU_HoudiniAsset houdiniAsset = heuRoot._houdiniAsset;

// Set the ftime parameter
HEU_ParameterUtility.SetFloat(houdiniAsset, "ftime", Time.frameCount);

// Make sure to cook after changing parms
CookAsset(houdiniAsset);
}

public static void CookAsset(HEU_HoudiniAsset houdiniAsset)
{
// This starts a cook of the HDA, and waits until includes generation of output geomtry when cook has finished.
// See function comment for the various parms.
houdiniAsset.RequestCook(bCheckParametersChanged: true, bAsync: false, bSkipCookCheck: true, bUploadParameters: true);
}

}

This fundamentally works, though it's slow enough that I'm convinced it's not maximum awesome just yet.
100 posts
Hi, your code looks like its correct if you are trying to just change a parameter. HEU_ParameterUtility is deprecated though, but should stil work.

The more recent way to change a parameter and recook the asset in H19 is:

houdiniAsset.Parameters.SetFloatParameterValue("ftime", Time.frameCount, 0, true); 
207 posts
Amazing, thank you so much!

As an added note, to anyone else who may stumble across this thread: after upgrading Unity, the performance of this approach dramatically improved and the plugin now seems to run at near-realtime (or, at least as fast as it runs within Houdini itself, which is fine for my non-game-related intent).
  • Quick Links