Karma scene scale

1221   2   1
160 posts
Hi,

We are looking into moving our rendering pipeline to karma, generally everything is going well. We have been debating scene scales, animation is coming from Maya and is 1 unit = 1 cm, which is written to our root USD file. Based on other forum threads I understand that Solaris/Karma ignores this apart from a few UI bits and pieces, and we can just work in solaris in Maya's scale, any FXs can be scaled up and sublayer/referenced into the stage.

Unfortunately I've been getting some shadow artefact while working at the larger scale. If I covert our scene root to and xform a scale it down to 1 unit = 1 m, the artefact goes away.

It's particularly noticeable with geo that are quite low poly, I've attached a screenshot of a basic bit of ground that's shows the problem when using a dome light.

Coming from VRay, lights there have a shadow bias setting, which is the control I would go to for this kind of artefact. Does Karma have any kind of control or a global scene scale option?

Thanks David,

Attachments:
shadowIssue_meterScale.png (2.4 MB)
shadowIssue_centimeterScale.png (3.5 MB)
shadowIssue_wireFrame.png (1.8 MB)

7740 posts
daviddeacon
Coming from VRay, lights there have a shadow bias setting, which is the control I would go to for this kind of artefact. Does Karma have any kind of control or a global scene scale option?

Yeah, raybias, which is probably what this is. Is that cm scale terrain?
160 posts
Thanks that did the trick, just for future problem solvers the ray bias can be found on the render settings lop or karma lop.

The terrain was in cm scale, but it's not that big really. I haven't tried any really big environments in cm scale yet...
Edited by daviddeacon - Aug. 13, 2022 08:50:56
  • Quick Links