Rendering with the mantra token

4507   4   3
16 posts
I'm a new houdini indie user, I wonder if there is a good video tutorial about how to instal the mantra token and how to render in another machine?

Cheers
443 posts
For Indie I guess it needs to be installed on that machine too.
Houdini Indie is introduced to independent user (like freelancers). And it restrict you to render on farm and over certain resolution otherwise who will go for Houdini FX.
16 posts
Thanks PradeepBarua

I'm confused in the Houdini indie main page sees this:

"Houdini Indie and Houdini Engine Indie come with the HQueue job management system which can be used to distribute renderings and simulations. Houdini Indie and Houdini Engine Indie each come with a Mantra token which can be set up on these machines. With the ability to set up to 6 machines , you can quickly set up a small farm."

So I understand that there is a restriction to 6 machines, but :

do I have to buy another licence of H Indie to have 2 machines?

Can I buy only the Houdini engine Indie and use it to render a houdini job?

Is there a tutorial on how to implement the small farm?

Is there a tutorial on how to run the HQ Render?

Thanks again and Cheers
443 posts
To be honest I don't know much more about Houdini Indie rendering on farm.

For farm setup, please go through this:
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/hqueue14.0/ [sidefx.com]
Staff
4164 posts
intolerancia
do I have to buy another licence of H Indie to have 2 machines?

Can I buy only the Houdini engine Indie and use it to render a houdini job?

Is there a tutorial on how to implement the small farm?

Is there a tutorial on how to run the HQ Render?

Yes, you need to buy a second license for your machine, but it can be an engine license, so half the cost.

I've found it to be pretty simple using Linux for all machines (and the same version of linux for all machines), the installer will setup everything for you, including the shared space (if you install a package the installer says you'll need). And then if you want (for performance) you can install Houdini in teh same place on each computer and put that path as the Target HFS

The biggest problem was file permissions, since the jobs are being run by a new user account (hquser by default), but once that was sorted, it's pretty straightforward.
I'm o.d.d.
  • Quick Links