Please Help With Ocean & Flip

3652   4   0
6 posts
Hi Everyone,

My name is Richard and I'm hoping you guys can help!

I was really hoping to make some more progress with this before asking here but I'm try to create something like this:

https://vimeo.com/90005741 [vimeo.com]

I'm struggling to work out which route I need to take. I've also seen this:

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/19380-flip-ocean-simulation-hull-needs-more-splashes-on-collision/ [forums.odforce.net]

I'm tearing my hair out trying to work out how this is created. If someone could just point out the initial tools/workflow for this, I would be so grateful.

I understand that the flip sim is added to an ‘infinite’ or larger ocean but I don't know how to combine ocean waves and a flip.

Any help would be great, I feel quite stupid for not knowing where to start!
2612 posts
Don't beat yourself up over it too much Richard, fluids are one of the more complicated systems in Houdini. Remember, all you see it a trick. So the infinite part of the ocean is just faked compositing. All the simulation takes place on that small little grid that surrounds the ship.

You can even see the edge of the plane in the example file you are impressed with. So think of it as two planes. One holds the simulation The other is just a material based solution that extends out to the horizon.

I got a lot out of this video on youtube, VFX Pipeline.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsS6Gn0m1iI [youtube.com]

Attachments:
untitled-2_196.jpg (110.6 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
6 posts
Thanks for the reply,

I'm still impressed by the video but I suppose I'm just impressed by the software in general.

I'll watch that Flip simulation video, thanks very much and at least you think that I'm using the right tools within Houdini for the job.

I also think I need to be patient and cook some more complex simulations in order to see the results.

For the splash tank, could you confirm that it's possible to match the look and movement of an ocean surface, in order to composite the tank over an ocean?

Thanks again,

Rich
2612 posts
I would say yes, but scale is very important for realistic matching. So get your units right to start with. If you start off with a model sized ship your fluid will look and respond that same way. Figure out how big your ship is 1st then size your domain around the model, don't scale down the FLIP to the object.

By default a single square on the Houdini grid is 1 meter in size.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
6 posts
Thank you,

I was hoping this would be the case. The yachts I've modelled are full scale for the sake of trying to make things more realistic, both inside and out.

I was worried about the general scaling of the simulation so I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's not an issue.

Thanks again,

Richard
  • Quick Links