Exporting Crease to Alembic for Use in Katana/Arnold with Subdivide

4254   5   2
3 posts
Does anyone know how to export creases from Houdini as Alembic so that I can import the model *with creases* into Katana and render and subdivide with Arnold?

It seems like with enough manipulation of a model (with a simple, easy to understand, topology) I can get the data from Houdini into Katana and make it work, but there's got a be a better more fool-proof way to make this process work.

Thank you
3 posts
Hello, did you get any answer or find any interesting detail about it. I'm currently investigating about the subject too. Playing with houdini abc exported to katana. Trying with maya abc to see how it's handle by katana.

I would prefer that houdini rop alembic be able to handle those crease attribute by default tho.

Still in 16.5.536, does it changed in h17 ?
3 posts
Hello

I don't use Katana anymore, but before I stopped using it I had mostly solved the issue for myself. My answer is on the Foundry's forums:

https://community.foundry.com/discuss/topic/137474/subdividing-with-creases?mode=Post&postID=1112715 [community.foundry.com]
3 posts
Thx for this quick reply Chad!

I'll take a look at your scripts for sure.

I've also informed sidefx about the issue via support@sidefx.com email. I think it should be handle at the export process with the rop alembic, since it seems to handle it correctly when it come from Maya and use the creaseSharpness and convert it to creaseweight vertex attribute.

Let see what they'll say about it.

Cheers!
3 posts
By writing to sidefx, I finally understand what need to be done to export these data correctly.

There is a flag at the object level that need to be checked. Once check it will see you polymesh as a subdmesh and convert your creaseweight attribute the way katana is expecting it.

Need to test the process more in depth, but seems to be the solution.

Cheers!

Attachments:
subdmesh.png (18.2 KB)

9 posts
Dominikkirouac
By writing to sidefx, I finally understand what need to be done to export these data correctly.

There is a flag at the object level that need to be checked. Once check it will see you polymesh as a subdmesh and convert your creaseweight attribute the way katana is expecting it.

Need to test the process more in depth, but seems to be the solution.

Cheers!

I'm just writing this to here, in a hope, that others will find this via google search or other.

So I was trying to export creasing / creases to maya with alembic. I tried everything. But this, this solved it!
It would be nice, to have this on the actual alembic export rop, not to need to go obj level, and search for a hidden attribute.

Anyway, huge thanks for this!
  • Quick Links