Blender imported smoke and fire and correcting density/openGL visualisation

2885   3   0
76 posts
Hi folks,
Never mind any question on why I would use blender for smoke and fire, that´s another topic.
I am just exploring options here.

A blender smoke and fire import directly from blender openVDB cached files.
Now initially the import looks bad in the openGL almost a full box volume, but when rendering the density is correct, though any color or fire attributes I can not see or find, though in this test I am not sure I really had any from that simulation.

Now how would I go about to fix the openGL to resemble the render?
What nodes should I add to work with that? curve or density controls, retreiving fire emission data etc if possible.

Not sure if I need to add a convert to volume node first ..or is there any other option to control density and shading directly connected to the vdb?

The vdb import node has really nothing to work with.
Edited by Phamarus - Aug. 13, 2018 15:47:18
displaced mind
7741 posts
The volume visualizer sop lets you assign fields to different opengl properties such as density or color.

Shading in mantra would be controlled by the shading network you build.
76 posts
jsmack
The volume visualizer sop lets you assign fields to different opengl properties such as density or color.

Shading in mantra would be controlled by the shading network you build.

Thanks jsmack, tried it again and have tried it before..but no result in the openGL, I suspect it must be a bit more complicated than just adding the volume visualizer after the vdb node?
Edited by Phamarus - Aug. 14, 2018 12:06:54

Attachments:
blender vdb import.jpg (201.3 KB)

displaced mind
76 posts
Oops…

solved it, I forgot to click on the display and render flag for the volume visualizer node, that was what stopped me in my own experiments.
it is now presenting the smoke as I want based on the settings within that.

Now I got to learn more about the actual shading as well.

Thankse.
displaced mind
  • Quick Links