How to set-up low poly collision for high-res object?

2995   2   1
900 posts
Apologies for newbie question but I couldn't find any tutorial or information about it in the documentation.

I assumed this setup would work but it doesn't.
Problems:

1)If I apply two different ‘unreal_generated_mesh_name’ to identify the normal mesh and the relative low poly mesh for collision, Houdine Engine will bake only one of the two.
2)If I don't create any ‘unreal_generated_mesh_name’, Hou Engine will bake the two meshes to actors… but that's not what I really want.
I'd like only the real mesh to be baked to actors and automatically fill its ‘complex collision mesh’ box with the low poly mesh.

Is it possible to do this?

Thanks

Edited by Andr - Sept. 3, 2020 17:38:25
54 posts
Hey Andr,

Is there any particular reason why you're adding the name as an attribute to a collision geo? That's not required and in this case it wouldn't be picked anyway.

Try to change your network to this:

As you can see I've added extrude volume. Unreal expecting collision geo to be convex shape, so it can't be just a plane. You will need to extrude it a bit.

And here you go, all good in unreal:

Cheers,

Attachments:
col_hda_houdini01.PNG (35.1 KB)
col_hda_houdini02.PNG (734.9 KB)
col_hda_unreal.PNG (754.6 KB)

2 posts
The issue I run into, and what I think the OP is pointing out, is that when I want to bake the asset, it bakes as two separate meshes. Hektor, what you seem to be pointing to is when it is still being used as a Houdini Asset.
  • Quick Links