is there a way to do "bones from curve" but proceadurally?

2626   3   2
30 posts
for instance i have generated a bunch of curves proceadural(using scatter for instance - then creating the several curves that im animating proceadurally - but id love if i could rig them not by hand

the shelf tool bones from curve is what i need, but i wasnt able to find a way to run that command over all my curves. is there a way to do it using a for loop or something along those lines?
172 posts
not sure, but you can convert your curves to kinefx (with rig doctor node) and then convert those back to obj level bones?
I contribute to the beauty of this world
Staff
2540 posts
You can use bones to drive kineFX and back quite easily. If you can wait a day, I have a file in the illume kinefx package where I demo the IK Solver VOP to drive a t-rex leg rig that has a file that uses obj bones to drive the rig and back.

One key reason for KineFX is procedural rigging full stop.

curve, resample to segments, into Rig Doctor SOP and those points are the locator joints and segment prims are the bone segments. Quite simple.

If you need to, use the ReOrient Joints SOP to build a good rest_position and then can feed into IK Skeleton VOP if you want to drive further with controls in local or world space, or whatever transform space you want.

You can use all the same rigging SOPs for Obj Bones to do weighting and bone deform SOP as with KineFX bones.

If they have the same name as the object bones, they will even drive the same skin weights.
There's at least one school like the old school!
131 posts
Here is the link to the video mentioned by old_school: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z04t_OxBshA [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links