Directly rendering .usd file with USD Render ROP

996   1   1
53 posts
Hi there,

When rendering with Mantra, we always used a single computer to output an .ifd file that was then used by computers on our local farm to start rendering. Especially for .ifd files that were relatively short to write out this gave some gain as we don't have to re-start the task for every frame. I would like to do the same for .usd files, however I cannot seem to find an option on the ROP node as it always creates its own .usd for rendering. We could just call the husk command ourselves and render the usd like that, though that would require me to embed all those nice options of the already created ROP which would just take some time.

Is anyone aware of an option where I can just feed the ROP node the .usd file for rendering directly?

Cheers!
Technical VFX artist @ Housemarque / Sony Interactive Entertainment
575 posts
Hello, You can write a usd that has all the rendersettings and targets definded and then You can use husk to render this usd directly. If You want to speed up the process to write out the usd file You can split up the usd, for example one contains a vdb sequence, this will take some time or instances. all this geometry sequences get their own usd files and in the render usd all the usd files get loaded instead of the geometries. no when You write the render usd it is super fast, as all the heavy work is already done
  • Quick Links