Linux!!!

7965   10   1
9 posts
I'm trying to get Houdini running on Linux. I saw that a Red Hat 9 version of Houdini was available so went to the Red Hat website. Alas, they don't do RH9 any more, preferring something called Fedora. So I went and installed Fedora Core 3 x86_64 on my brand spanking new AMD64 computer. After fiddling for days trying to get my GeForce 6600 GT drivers to work, I got to the point of installling Houdini. A few error messages along the lines of “error while loading shared libraries: libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory” later, I gave up hope of ever getting Houdini working. Anyone had success with Houdini on Fedora?

TIA.
405 posts
Yes alot of people have. Although if you are new to linux you might seriously consider Mandrake its more user friendly but the most important thing is that Red Hat Fedora restricts you from using certain music file formats etc so I don't consider it the best solution when doing media work on linux.

http://www.linuxcentral.com/catalog/index.php3?prod_code=L000-297&id=C1CnBNjp28QCu [linuxcentral.com]

or with the books.

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/101/x86-64 [mandrakesoft.com]

The first link I don't know if that is compiled for the 64 bit chipset but I know the second link is and it has the books and if you are new to linux you defantly need the books. Runs fine on my mandrake. Although to be honest I have to ask did you download the drivers from nvidia's website because if you did not then you are not going to get it to work well.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_1.0-6629.html [nvidia.com]

Read and follow the directions carefully at that link. If you buy the mandrake software these will already be installed for you when you do the installation. Fedora is the regular RH package by the way they changed the name a few years back. Fedora is for consumers and not server distrobustions which you are not.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

P.S. I hope that helps
12545 posts
You could also look here for some hints:
http://www.odforce.net/wiki/index.php/PlatformIssues [odforce.net]
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
スタッフ
2598 posts
djpeanut
So I went and installed Fedora Core 3 x86_64 on my brand spanking new AMD64 computer. After fiddling for days trying to get my GeForce 6600 GT drivers to work, I got to the point of installling Houdini.
TIA.

Houdini isn't currently released for the x86_64 platform currently. You have to run an 32-bit version in “compatibility” mode. You have to make sure that you have 32 bit graphics drivers and all the 32 bit libraries that Houdini requires installed and in your library path.
9 posts
OK, thanks for the info. So, it seems that I'm at the following stage: Got FC3 64-bit running, including 64-bit nVidia drivers, installed Houdini but missing at least one library (libGLU.so.1).

I need 32-bit drivers and libraries and to run it in compatibility mode to get it working - so where can I get these and how do I get them to work?

My second question, of course, is obvious - is Houdini going to be released for the 64-bit platform soon?
スタッフ
2598 posts
djpeanut
OK, thanks for the info. So, it seems that I'm at the following stage: Got FC3 64-bit running, including 64-bit nVidia drivers, installed Houdini but missing at least one library (libGLU.so.1).

I need 32-bit drivers and libraries and to run it in compatibility mode to get it working - so where can I get these and how do I get them to work?

My second question, of course, is obvious - is Houdini going to be released for the 64-bit platform soon?

When you install the nVidia drivers, I think they ask a question, something like “Would you like to install 32-bit compatibility libraries”, or something like that. Make sure you say “yes”.

I can't comment on whether Houdini will be released soon for x86_64.
405 posts
Hey,

Platforms: Windows NT 4.0 (IA32), Windows 2000 (IA32), Irix 6.5+, Linux (IA32), Solaris™ 8+ (SPARC), Windows XP (IA64), Linux (IA64)

So the Linux IA64 is not a 64 bit version of Houdini just a 32 bit one running in compatability mode. Interesting I had no idea.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
398 posts
IA64 and x86-64 is a different architectures.
f = conserve . diffuse . advect . add

fx td @ the mill
21 posts
I have the houdini 7.0.231 apprentice version running successfully here on a Fedora Core 3 x86_64. My graphic card is an ATI FireGL X2 and I use the latest 64-bit ATI drivers. The only problem is that I have to kill the hserver manually before shutdown, otherwise the system will not shut down correctly.
Try to get all the updates available for Fedora (using yum or up2date), also check what kernel you are running. Don't try to mix up 32-bit drivers on a 64-bit OS, they will not run…

regards
325 posts
hey djpeanut,

being a noob both in Houdini and Linux and choosing Houdini+Linux is the right but somewhat a challenging sollution. It's the tight path you have chosen, especially running Fedora as your first OS.

Anyway it's almost the same as I did once some 8 monthes ago. What I would recommend is to install some kind of Chat system, like Lisq, Kopete or Game (ICQ ‘equivalents’) or a mIRC client and find some friend-Huru guy or a linux/cg+houdini community, who would be kind enough to baby with you for a couple of the first initial steps you will make in the world of Linux+Houdini. Hoknamahn did this to me, and I was very greatful to him ever since (hey, Hoknamahn! =] ), JColdrick was also very helpful manytimes (thanks everybody!).

Also, having choosen Linux, get prepaired for some serious self-education work and lots of reading of different annotations ('mans' or mannuals) concerning driver's installations and setting up some aspects of your system (it's done with ‘man my_command’ or press Tab to see the coplete list of comands).

It's the Linux way for you now, so get envolved, good luck andpatience(!) to you!

oh, and I didn't mean to be pompose or something, sorry if I did
I liked the Mustang
4140 posts
I'll second that tight path comment.

I'm running, for the first time, an Intel EM64T dual system with Houdini and I've had no problems so far with that particular hardware platform. I think the secret to that is *not* running Fedora or other free products unless you are a hacker, or love a challenge. As some may know, I've become a huge SUSE fan, and we've recently installed two EM64T systems, one an HP proliant server, the other the dual system mentioned above, and there's been no 32/64 problems at all. We purchased SUSE Enterprise 9 for the server, and the performance is stunning. I'm using SUSE Pro 9.2 for the workstation, and I've had to do no hacking whatsoever with all the library issues.

The problem with Fedora is, as suggested, not everything's been well tested yet(that's why they're releasing it for free), so you'll be perusing many a forum into the wee hours I'll suspect. You can go RH Enterprise, but it costs a bundle, and it's using an old kernel. I wouldn't recommend SUSE Enterprise either for a workstation, plus it's pricey too(but worth it for a server ), but 9.2 Pro is quite inexpensive and it just plain *works*.

I'm sure it's after the fact now, but something to consider if you really start banging your head against the wall.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links