626 posts
Hi,
What is Particle System Primitive?
How useful about it?
What ‘s different with point group?
I can’t find some document.
Thanks!
7734 posts
The particle system primitive was used by the old POPs system where you can have a single primitive that had the particles as its vertices. Don't use it
スタッフ
2540 posts
100% with Ed. No need for old school users too to use the Particle primitive either.

It is far more efficient to deal with raw points now. No primitive attribute overhead. Everything that was edge cased to particle primitives including auto-instancing spheres/tubes/sprites/etc. are now easily supported on raw points.

Don't use the particle primitive.
There's at least one school like the old school!
4528 posts
I thought there is one reason to use particle primitives and that was to show points as guides for an HDA. Is there an alternative for this?
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
スタッフ
2540 posts
With HDA's, we added the Guide option to point at any SOP/Object inside your asset including raw points which should work as guides.

Does that work in HDA's?
There's at least one school like the old school!
4528 posts
You are right Jeff, it does work. I thought you needed a particle system to make sure points show up as guides. I just tried and having plain points in the guide gives you a lot more flexibility than a particle system ironically as the Display Options for particles allow you to customize plain points this way more so than a particle system.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
  • Quick Links