renderman installation problem

2825   6   2
15 posts
I have this error message while launching Houdini just after installing renderman.
Anyone can help me to solve the problem?

I changed the environment variables and it still does not work.

Attachments:
HoudiniRendermanErrorCapture.PNG (30.2 KB)
HoudiniRendermanError2.PNG (60.3 KB)

7785 posts
What does your renderman package json file look like?
15 posts
Thank you JSMACK for your reply!

After a long and tiresome web search I solved the problem (not entirely though ).
I uninstall Houdini 18.5.351 (which happened to be Python 3 version) and reinstalled Houdini 18.5.351 (non Python version).
Now I have to handle another problem.

Here is what it look like Houdini launched with 4096 X 2160 monitor resolution at general UI scale 1 which I rarely use because the icons and menus become too small and barely readable but the renderman preset material palette looks normal.

The problem arises when I change general UI scale from 1 to 2, which is my usual preference setting, renderman material preset palette becomes weird.

It is jammed with separator which seems to become larger by 2 times and the content windows shrink so much.
Is this a bug or did I do something wrong? Is there any trick to solve this problem?

By the way, where can I find json file and how to verify if that is good?

By the way, where can I find json file?

Attachments:
houdiniScreenShotUIscale1.png (3.6 MB)
houdiniScreenShotUIscale2.png (1023.3 KB)

15 posts
I gave up with renderman!
Every time I tried test render with ris or rib, Houdini crashed and kicked me out!
Maybe I have done something wrong or Pixar and/or SideFX didn't do their homework properly.
7785 posts
Shiva99
I gave up with renderman!
Every time I tried test render with ris or rib, Houdini crashed and kicked me out!
Maybe I have done something wrong or Pixar and/or SideFX didn't do their homework properly.

I've seen crashes with old versions of the RFH plugin and mismatched houdini versions. The latest plugin is working much better. I've been using in production without crashes.

I'm using renderman 23.5 with Houdini 18.0.597
15 posts
JSMACK, thank you for your continued follow-up!

I'm using renderman 23.5 with Houdini 18.5.351 which Pixar posted as the most recent version of Houdini supposed to work with renderman 23.5.

It now works without .json file but soon crashes... very unstable. I decided to stay with 3Delight until more stable version will be released.
51 posts
Just for anyone who will encounter similar issues.

1. Make sure RenderMan for Houdini is Python 3 version.
2. Use installation via packages (json file). RenderMan has provided a json file at: "C:\Program Files\Pixar\RenderManForHoudini-25.2\packages\renderman_for_houdini.json"
3. Copy-paste this file to: "C:\Users\Dmitriy\Documents\houdini19.5\packages" (houdini<your_version_of_houdini>).
4. Delete everything related to Renderman from houdini.env (if written before) as json file will do the same and if both are used together, it may cause conflicts. Related post: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/71405/?page=1#post-302661 [www.sidefx.com]

Find "Package installation": https://rmanwiki.pixar.com/display/RFH25/Installation+of+RenderMan+for+Houdini [rmanwiki.pixar.com]

For Houdini 19.0 and beyond, RenderMan for Houdini can be installed with a packages file, found in the RfH installation directory.
Edited by AnimGraphLab - 2023年12月19日 03:05:30
3D Generalist. Transforming 2D images to 3D animations.
Socials: https://linktr.ee/AnimGraphLab [linktr.ee]
  • Quick Links