Shifting the start/end position of a closed curve

2681   4   0
115 posts
Puzzled by this.... One of those moments that makes me think I've no idea what I'm up to. (I'm doing map boundaries animating on.)

I've a simple (but time consuming to trace) closed curve (curve tool), then a carve, then a polywire, really simple except now I need to have it start/end from elsewhere on the curve. I thought a sort sop was the answer but although it shifts the point numbers around to where I want them the carve sop just ignores that, which means carve is using something else other than point number?

Same thing if i use an ends sop - it's like the start and end of the curve are not linked to point number.

How do I shift the actual start/end position of a closed curve? What am I missing?

cheers,

A>
115 posts
In addition.... I've read that "there's no such thing as a closed curve in Houdini" which is confusing as there's a close curve toggle in the curve tool, and that a curve that says "i'm closed" just means it got 2 vertices that share a point. Very good. So to refine my original question, I've drawn a circle starting at 12 o'clock and gone right round back to 12 again so it looks like a closed curve, but what I should have done is started at 6 and gone round to 6 again. Do I really have to draw another curve to get this (it's not a circle, it's the outline of Australia in great detail), or is there so method by which I can shift the point at which the curve wraps back on itself?
1738 posts
Huh, I didn't expect that either. If I use an add sop to keep the points, then another add sop to rebuild the curve again, it is now rebuilt from the point number, and behaves as expected.

Wouldn't surprise me if there's another sop or an esoteric checkbox on shift/ends/carve to rebuild based on point order, but this'll do.
Edited by mestela - 2021年6月5日 06:53:29

Attachments:
curve_rebuild_after_shift.hip (177.2 KB)

http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
115 posts
cheers for that Matt, I found another route using the primitive sop face/hull tab, there's a shift u offset! Seems like I need to get familiar with this handy sop.

cheers,

A>
555 posts
not sure what I'm smoking but thought it was simple ?

Attachments:
vu_AUS.hipnc (252.4 KB)
AUS.gif (234.2 KB)

• Quick Links