how to add bump image to material x

4480   5   1
658 posts
Hi.

If I had a standard grey scale image (noise), how do I plug that into material X standard surface to get bump working. I have treid a few things but am unsure.

Thanks in advance! Best

Attachments:
bump.hipnc (124.7 KB)
noise.jpg (74.2 KB)

2551 posts
A greyscale image is not the same as a Normal map, those look purply. I'm not sure if Karma supports actual bump mapping yet, but you can use a greyscale image for displacement. You have to "collect" up two shaders to combine them, and assign the collected node to your object as the material.

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg (44.2 KB)
Untitled-2.jpg (48.6 KB)
ap_bump.hipnc (800.0 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
658 posts
Hi. Thanks. I did think of using a disp map. The other thing I was thinking was if I could convert a bump to a normal in the shader network somehow.

Best
1631 posts
I don't know if you can use the old bump to normal vop within materialX (it would be KarmaCPU only, since XPU doesn't do vex), I tried it for a minute and wasn't able to.

But.. if it doesn't have to be explicitly "in" the shader network, you could go through cops and use a vopcop filter with bump_to_normal to generate the normal map from your bump. That works.
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
31 posts
Would the mtlx height to normal be any good?
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/vop/mtlxheighttonormal [www.sidefx.com]
658 posts
Hi Ben

Yes!. It worked!. Thanks. Mark
  • Quick Links