Karma Rops always renders in 1280x720, why?

1621   6   0
117 posts
Hi.
I have been using the Karma ROP in 19.5 but have several confusing things happening.

The main one is that no matter what resolution setting I use it always renders in 1280x720.
I tested changing resolution in the Common Settings and also in the Camera but still the same result.
Any ideas what is wrong? I uploaded a simple test scene.

Attachments:
Karma_Volumes.hiplc (1.8 MB)

2539 posts
Its a bug in 19.5.303 (maybe later..?). You have to unlock the Karma HDA, dive into the LOP Network. Click on the red node at the bottom and type in your resolution.
Edited by Enivob - 2022年9月2日 08:54:19
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
1628 posts
It's also fixed on the daily builds (has been for a while).
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
117 posts
Ok, that is great to know. Thanks guys!
A few other issues I have

1. If I click on render in background on the ROP (works fine in Solaris) it will game me a Syntax Error. Does that happen to you too?

2. A general thing I noticed with Karma and rendering, I mostly render volumes. In the viewport and Mplay I can render an image in 10 seconds. But if I render out a frame range it will usually take 1 minute per frame.
I generally find that previewing is really fast but rendering a frame sequence to harddisk takes hours. Any thoughts why this could happen?
Edited by AndreasOberg - 2022年9月2日 11:15:57
117 posts
I'm uploading a smoke example that has this problem. Preview 11 sec, but render to disk 1-2min per frame

I tested and in MPlay it renders image frame 10 in 7seconds. However it takes 10 seconds after I click render to open MPlay so I guess the total is 17sec.

To render out the first 10 frames takes 2min 40seconds for me. If I jump between frames in Solaris preview the image loads very fast in the previs, no start time, it takes about 4 seconds to render each frame, but I guess the preview is showing lower resolution.
Edited by AndreasOberg - 2022年9月2日 11:18:20

Attachments:
vfx_smoke_billowing.hiplc (1.7 MB)

7801 posts
AndreasOberg
2. A general thing I noticed with Karma and rendering, I mostly render volumes. In the viewport and Mplay I can render an image in 10 seconds. But if I render out a frame range it will usually take 1 minute per frame.
I generally find that previewing is really fast but rendering a frame sequence to harddisk takes hours. Any thoughts why this could happen?

The preview is fast because the volume is already in memory and can be rendered immediately. When rendering a sequence, the data has to be read in, written to a usd file, and the renderer started again with the usd file after each frame. The teardown and io can sometimes take most of the time when renders are short. You might have a faster render if you pre-cache your usd scene, so that it doesn't have to rebuild the scene for each frame. Also, the usdrender rop has an option to 'render all frames in a single process,' this prevents the renderer from having to quit and restart after each frame and load the scene again. (note that to use this feature, the output file path must use the "<F4>" token and not "$F4" which doesn't work with 'all frames' mode.
117 posts
jsmack
AndreasOberg

The preview is fast because the volume is already in memory and can be rendered immediately. When rendering a sequence, the data has to be read in, written to a usd file, and the renderer started again with the usd file after each frame. The teardown and io can sometimes take most of the time when renders are short. You might have a faster render if you pre-cache your usd scene, so that it doesn't have to rebuild the scene for each frame. Also, the usdrender rop has an option to 'render all frames in a single process,' this prevents the renderer from having to quit and restart after each frame and load the scene again. (note that to use this feature, the output file path must use the "<F4>" token and not "$F4" which doesn't work with 'all frames' mode.

That is interesting.
- You might have a faster render if you pre-cache your usd scene, so that it doesn't have to rebuild the scene for each frame.
That sounds like a good idea. Do you mean just use the Cache node?
- the usdrender rop has an option to 'render all frames in a single process,' this prevents the renderer from having to quit and restart after each frame and load the scene again.
Would you mind explaining where I find this setting. Looked everywhere and cannot find it.

Thanks. It would be nice if one could push down these quite simple renders so they do not take an hour.
  • Quick Links