Layout LOP suggestions

1738   7   2
333 posts
Hi, I've been playing a bit with the Layout LOP and here are some observations (19.5.303):

1. For the Place brush, please separate scale and rotate into different processes, so that I am required to hold a key to rotate or scale the instance as I place it.

It's a very common situation for me to vary the rotation of each piece, but I don't want to touch the scale (placing a bunch of the same type of chair for example). Vice-versa, often I'll need to vary scale, but have the same orientation.

I am aware of the Lock Scale option, but I don't want to keep using the radial menu or parameter pane to toggle this state, and would rather have a modifier key control it. The current system is extremely fiddly, and I feel like I'm fighting it always to place my pieces as I want. One of the main culprits for that is the fact that the sensitivity of the rotation is tied to the scale of the piece. For finer rotations, I need to necessarily scale the piece up. Separating the two would make for a much better UX.

2. Again for Place, can we set Scale From Original Size to be the default setting? When varying scale, I don't want to have to restart the scale from 0 for every single piece. Ideally I'd always want to start at the original scale and then introduce variation from there. I tried to set permanent defaults on the node, but it didn't allow we to do it (just said "Failed to save permanent defaults).

3. While engaging the Slide mode in the interactive tool, when I release the Shift key, the end result seems to be some entirely random orientation and/or scale of the piece. Apparently the scale and orientation are being changed when Slide is active (with no visual feedback as it happens). Can we get the Slide mode to respect the current orientation and scale, so we have predictable results as we slide the piece around?

4. For the Line brush, the hints GUI suggests that a "B - Brush Options" radial menu is available, but when I press B to show it, an empty radial menu shows up. Bug?

5. After I draw a Line brush, is there no way for me to edit the line points, so that I can reorient the line? After drawing the line, when I switch to Edit mode, I cannot interact with anything in the viewport.

6. Do none of the tools support snapping?

7. For the Comb brush, is there a way to lock the up vector, so that the pieces only orient towards the direction of the stroke without tipping over?

8. A lot of the brushes' interactive radius adjustment don't seem to be clamped at 0, allowing you to set a negative brush radius (Comb and Paint being the exceptions). This makes editing the brush radius interactively pretty clunky as you can fly past zero very easily and there is no visual indication that the radius is below zero (which requires an inverted motion to adjust the radius). This is particularly fiddly when the mode is set to Sphere.

Thank you.
Edited by eikonoklastes - 2022年8月23日 06:44:16
138 posts
Second that.
138 posts
After more experiement,i think the Layout tool needs more polishment,so many glitches to use them now.

The scale and orient brushe are also hard to use,the orient brush won't respect the reverse option.

And the brush radius seems very weird to me,should not the most strong area is the middle?

The paint and fill brush's density mode should have a option to lock size,because it' a very common task.And the random orientation in the paint brush won't work either.
Edited by wanglifu - 2022年9月15日 03:14:21
138 posts
And it has so many bugs,if you have multiple layout nodes,you drag assets into one of them,all of sudden,the assets in the list swapped...

The Layout tool should be a very convenient tool,sidefx please, fix these things!
Edited by wanglifu - 2022年9月15日 03:09:05
99 posts
yeah i also noticed a lot of issue about layout tool in 19.5, i remember in 19.0 the place brush tool allow you only rotate the object
スタッフ
4168 posts
Thanks for taking the time to share this feedback. Could I ask you to please log these bugs/issues? Especially the ones that aren't behaving as expected, it helps to outline each step exactly in the form. I know it can feel tedious, but it's very, very important (especially for these interactive issues). A recorded video can help too, but writing up the steps is usually more valuable; even narrated videos sometimes gloss over some crucial step that explains why user A is having an issue, but user B is not.

https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/submit/ [www.sidefx.com]

Some quick thoughts (again, please log a ticket through the form):

1. Great idea
  2. I totally understand; this is one of those things where it seems half the time you want the asset scale consistent, other times you don't...
  3. Seems like a bug
  4. Seems like a bug
  5. Seems like a bug
  6. Great idea; I thought there was snapping, I don't think it was only built into the individual brushes...
  7. Isn't this what the orient brush is meant for?
  8. Seems like a bug

We try to watch the forum, but things can get missed easily so in addition to posting here. We recommend requests or bugs get logged in the DB, to ensure they can get tracked/assigned.

Thank you!
I'm o.d.d.
138 posts
goldleaf
Thanks for taking the time to share this feedback. Could I ask you to please log these bugs/issues? Especially the ones that aren't behaving as expected, it helps to outline each step exactly in the form. I know it can feel tedious, but it's very, very important (especially for these interactive issues). A recorded video can help too, but writing up the steps is usually more valuable; even narrated videos sometimes gloss over some crucial step that explains why user A is having an issue, but user B is not.

1. Great idea
  2. I totally understand; this is one of those things where it seems half the time you want the asset scale consistent, other times you don't...
  3. Seems like a bug
  4. Seems like a bug
  5. Seems like a bug
  6. Great idea; I thought there was snapping, I don't think it was only built into the individual brushes...
  8. Seems like a bug

We try to watch the forum, but things can get missed easily so in addition to posting here. We recommend requests or bugs get logged in the DB, to ensure they can get tracked/assigned.

Thank you!

You can try to use layout tool to really do something,and you will encounter so many bugs even in 19.5.368.What a pity.
99 posts
wanglifu
goldleaf

1. Great idea
  3. Seems like a bug
  4. Seems like a bug
  5. Seems like a bug
  8. Seems like a bug

Thank you!

You can try to use layout tool to really do something,and you will encounter so many bugs even in 19.5.368.What a pity.
send the bug reports to sidefx, its the only way to solve the issues quickly
Edited by Piledriver - 2022年9月16日 03:26:46
  • Quick Links