Instancing karma Hairs Issue

1393   5   2
67 posts
Hello, I've got scene where I want to instance the same groom setup multiple times. Still want to use hair proceudral to create more hairs on rendering. The issue is when I'am making my prim with hairs instanceable, on "preview procedurals" error below pops up. Does it mean primitive with curve guides can not be instanced?
Edited by sniegockiszymon - 2022年12月18日 20:40:37

Attachments:
untitled.png (21.9 KB)

スタッフ
451 posts
Can you share a hip file to look at? Usually when we've seen this error it's been because the skin geo doesn't have a skinprim attribute on it.
67 posts
robp_sidefx
Can you share a hip file to look at? Usually when we've seen this error it's been because the skin geo doesn't have a skinprim attribute on it.
Yeah, sure. I've recreated this in simple example. Also I cant make working material after using procedural preview (also included in file)
Edited by sniegockiszymon - 2022年12月19日 21:33:57

Attachments:
hair_issue.hiplc (331.0 KB)

スタッフ
451 posts
Thanks, I can reproduce this. Will investigate!
スタッフ
4164 posts
The material issue is because you are not assigning any materials to the generated "RenderProcedural" prim (i.e. /houdinihairprocedural1)

For instancing, the current procedurals process requires that the procedurals prim and their targets be active and directly editable on the stage. This means that instancing the same procedural setup multiple times can require some setup. There is an example available on the Hair Procedural's help card; I've also modified your hip file to demonstrate how to set this up, and added a few sticky notes.

That error about a missing attribute is actually because the procedural tries to import the instanceable geometry, which gives it nothing. So instead of saying "I have no geometry" it says "This attribute is missing" - while this is technically true, it's also very unhelpful. We are working on improving the error reporting messages for the procedurals and some of the underlying technology they leverage.

Hope this all makes some sense, and helps get you unblocked.

Attachments:
hair_issue_chrisr.hiplc (2.1 MB)

I'm o.d.d.
67 posts
Wow, thats a great source of knowledge. Thank you very much, appreciate it!
  • Quick Links