Error on save as permanent defaults

2705   7   2
4 posts
Hi! I get this error each time I try to save as permanent defaults and my issue seems to be that I didn't have a folder in Documents/houdini17.0 called presets/Sop. My question is. How do I get this to work? It wasn't as simple as to add the folders and restart.
Side note: Been in contact with a guy who has these folders, but it won't work for him either. Allthough it should work

Attachments:
2019-04-08 11-38-47.mp4 (825.2 KB)

731 posts
What OS is this? If it's Windows, I suspect it's a bug the install script… not defining an env var properly. I don't know Windows, so I'm not sure what the equivalent to what I'm about to explain is (this is for Mac/Linux):

Open a terminal and type:

env | grep HOUDINI

You should see something like HOUDINI_PATH and some values. For example, here at Lost Boys, ours looks like this:

HOUDINI_PATH=$HSITE/houdini:$HFS/houdini:$HOME/houdini17.5.173:$HOME/houdini17.5LOSTBOYS/LIBRARY/TECH_CONFIG/SOFTWARE_SPECIFIC/HOUDINI17.5LOSTBOYS/LIBRARY/TECH_CONFIG/SOFTWARE/redshift/redshift4houdini/17.5.173

What I think is happening is one of your vars is not initialized, (for example, if $HOME was not initialized, it would evaluate to nothing, and then Houdini would end up looking for the dirs in / (at root)).

Basically, you need to go through each entry in the HOUDINI_PATH and make sure it exists. For now, if this is Windows, I'd make sure that there is HOME defined in “Edit System Variable” dialog (just Googled it).
Edited by mrCatfish - 2019年4月8日 10:27:40
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
41 posts
I have same problem,I'm tried full acces permission
chmod -R 777 /root/houdini18.0/
chown -R USER:USER /root/houdini18.0/

Work only if running houdini As root not normal user
555 posts
just a wild stab, what about rclick, run your Houdini as administrator ?
408 posts
Same error here, super annoying.

Any solutions, I've set all permissions for the folders i believe the that file is located. Still not possible to save permanent defaults.

Cheer,

A.

EDIT: Ok, so first "save presets", choose the right desitnation, one that Houdini finds / accesses, THEN only you can save as permanent defaults. Fixed.
Edited by Adriano - 2021年4月5日 15:08:28
411 posts
Adriano
EDIT: Ok, so first "save presets", choose the right desitnation, one that Houdini finds / accesses, THEN only you can save as permanent defaults. Fixed.

Been banging my head at this issue for a while now, and nothing seems to work. Also saving as presets choosing the right path and then saving as permanent defaults results in the same error.

The wonderful world of Houdini....

Does anyone have the secret formula ?
731 posts
Since my original reply 5 years ago, I get this error sometimes too.... I reported to SESI, but I don't think they were able to reproduce. I have gotten it at two different studios and at home, so that's two Linux environments and one Windows. Sorry, don't have a solution, sometimes it just suddenly starts working again.
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
411 posts
Yep, seems a bit of a puzzle.

After running in circles for a while I finally solved this conundrum by first saving it as a preset and specifically selecting the "$HOUDINI_USER_PREF_DIR" in the dropdown menu, and then as "permanent defaults".

Seems you have to use the "$HOUDINI_USER_PREF_DIR" otherwise it doesn't work, at least not here.
  • Quick Links