How to snap to a primitive's center?

1364   9   0
213 posts
In Houdini, when I enable Primitive Snapping, it allows me to snap to any point on the primitive (polygon face in my case). But what if I want to snap to the center of it? I tried "Midpoint" option in Snap Options, however it snaps to midpoints of edges, not primitives.
685 posts
You can use the "Start Orientation Picking" invoked by the ":" key. It snaps to Primitive centers.

Cheers
CYTE
186 posts
...or you can set a construction plane - which, again will snap to primitive centres. Hit the / key. Click on prim. Hit the / key again. You can then snap to construction plane.
213 posts
Mike_A
...or you can set a construction plane - which, again will snap to primitive centres. Hit the / key. Click on prim. Hit the / key again. You can then snap to construction plane.

I'm not sure if I followed. Yes, the construction plane snaps to the primitive center... but then how to snap to the construction plane's center (instead of any point on the plane)? Feels like I went back to the square 1.

Edit: Was drunk. Of course I can just enable Grid Snap.
Edited by kodra - 2023年11月21日 06:04:31
186 posts
What's good about the construction plane option is that if you are adding new primitives from the shelf tool you can just 'Ctrl click' the tool to place it at the centre - the construction plane centre in this case.

Nevertheless - 'centre of primitive' snapping with the standard snap feature would be very welcome - so I'd strongly suggest you enter an RFE for this: https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/submit/ [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by Mike_A - 2023年11月21日 13:00:49
19 posts
More powerful and elegantly presented snapping presets would be greatly appreciated. My favorites were the ones created by Cristóbal Vila (a MODO community hero).

Later on, they were officially introduced in MODO 12 with a new look.

Edited by Carlos_Rivadulla - 2023年11月21日 12:53:17
186 posts
Cristobal Vila - wow I remember him from the days of 'Electric Image'!
102 posts
Snapping is probably the weakest point in Houdini modeling. Snapping and polysplit.
186 posts
The RFE form is at our disposal - let's use it. The more people who ask, the better chance of improvement : )
https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/submit/ [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by Mike_A - 2023年11月22日 15:28:03
78 posts
HGaal
Snapping is probably the weakest point in Houdini modeling. Snapping and polysplit.
H20 came out and still no way to assign multi-snapping to a sticky key. Toggle snapping via a radial menu feels like a good idea if you don't do lots of Sub-D modeling and just occasionally need it.
  • Quick Links