ocio 2 issues

1665   15   2
34 posts
Hi,

we are testing to move from ocio v1 to ocio v2(.1) - all aces - and find to have some issues with that in h20. Everything seems to work fine except rendering to disk (in solaris, karma cpu/xpu). Comparing in Nuke, the file written to disk has wrong colors. This is all on just one machine (so this can not be related to any farm issues).

The colors in the viewport are fine and they are also fine when rending to mplay.

Another (maybe unrelated) issue is that the cloner always has it's color wrong (also with ocio v1).

Anybody else having these issues?
7794 posts
ronald_a
Hi,

we are testing to move from ocio v1 to ocio v2(.1) - all aces - and find to have some issues with that in h20. Everything seems to work fine except rendering to disk (in solaris, karma cpu/xpu). Comparing in Nuke, the file written to disk has wrong colors. This is all on just one machine (so this can not be related to any farm issues).

The colors in the viewport are fine and they are also fine when rending to mplay.

Another (maybe unrelated) issue is that the cloner always has it's color wrong (also with ocio v1).

Anybody else having these issues?

Ocio v2 defines file rules that impact the output colorspace. If the colors aren't matching nuke, then nuke is ignoring the rules (nuke doesn't obey any rules afaik), or the config contains the wrong rules.
216 posts
Hello, to continue what @jsmack said, yes ocio rules also impact output file, but you can also explicitly set ouput color space inside the "karmarendersettings" LOP node on "AOV's rendervar" tab.
34 posts
Hi @jsmack & @julca,

thanks for your input. My mistake was, that the rule for exr did not say ACEScg but rec709 (I believe this came from the standard houdini rules). What is still not working are the clones. The color there is still off (and off in another way than it was with the written exrs). Does that work for you, and if so, do you have any idea what might be wrong here?
216 posts
@ronald_a, do you have scene file + screenshots of what you want and what you have ?
And also a screenshot of your "OCIO editor". Perhaps it can help to help you
34 posts
@julca: sure thing. attached is the testscene with the colorchecker texture used, a screenshot of what should be /what is (top viewport is good, botton rendergallery from cloner not so much), and the ocio config this is based on. Btw. the ocio config is basically nuke's ocio v2.1 aces studio config with the addition of rules created with houdini, so there should be nothing special about that.

Attachments:
ocio_colormismatch_cloner.zip (235.0 KB)

216 posts
@ronald_a, It's works on my side after explicitly set "ACEScg" on "output color space" parameter inside the "karma render settings" node (cf. you modified scene). It override ocio settings for output.

Other option was to change your ocio profile to set correct color space that match with the kind (pattern/extension) of your output file (be carreful as it's also impact input file)
Take also care about the ouput render folders name that is used if a specific ocio pattern was found.

An "other way" was to set the pattern "ACEScg" on you your ouput file name, ex: "myBeautifullPicture_ACEScg.exr" and if "ACEScg" is already set to OCIO config as a pattern, it auto convert them to this space without doing it by override parameter.

Hope that help.
Edited by julca - 2023年12月20日 11:45:09

Attachments:
ocio_colormismatch_viewport_cloner_02.hiplc (760.0 KB)

34 posts
@julca: are you talking about the cloner issue here? It seems you are talking about rendering to disk which does work after setting the exr rule to acescg. But the cloner still does not show the correct colors (as shown in the image in the zip in my previous post).
216 posts
@ronald_a, sorry What do you mean by "cloner" ?
With render Gallery, color is matching on my side.

Attachments:
renderGallery.jpg (200.2 KB)

34 posts
Is that the rendering coming from a clone?
216 posts
ronald_a
Is that the rendering coming from a clone?
Arg ! no sorry I misunderstood this point . Tell me how you make a clone and I'll made a test on my side.

Edit : Ok I see, when I render in gallery in background, you're right color are wrong. Maybye a bug.
Edited by julca - 2023年12月21日 10:19:35
34 posts
well, in the clone panel create a clone, point it to the rendersettings lop and set it to xpu. this will render into rendergallery.
216 posts
ronald_a
well, in the clone panel create a clone, point it to the rendersettings lop and set it to xpu. this will render into rendergallery.
Yes, same as you, wrong color.. Bug ?
34 posts
yeah, most likely. I'll do an RFE
2 posts
I just ran into this same issue and it took me hours to figure it out. Labeling the OCIO Editor file rules as "Input File Rules" when they actually control both inputs and outputs is just bound to cause confusion especially since it's not mentioned in the H20 documentation either.
スタッフ
451 posts
Having this thread pop up again gives me the chance to highlight that as of *20.0.587*, clone rendering and background rendering should now both receive the proper OCIO love and match the viewport and husk-based renders.
  • Quick Links