Husk.exe stuck not finishing task

4745   25   8
61 posts
We've gone back to rendering in Houdini 19.0 for now, which is an awful solve even short-term as the resolver format changed between the two versions so we're being forced to flatten scenes down before sending them to the farm.

It's definitely frustrating that multiple studios have flagged this for multiple renderers and yet no one seems to have any ideas.

Personally I feel like if the same RenderMan version stalling in 19.5 and not in 19.0 that puts the ball in SideFX court but ultimately we just need it fixed :\
Grant Miller
VFX Supervisor
Ingenuity Studios
40 posts
Agree ^
スタッフ
2592 posts
Does someone has found a solution to husk getting stuck. I am having this problem when trying to render volume.
I have tried with all the Houdini 20 update. Now I am using 20.506 and I still have the problem.

https://www.sidefx.com/changelog/?journal=20.0&categories=58&body=&version=20.0&build_min=582&build_max=582&show_versions=on&show_compatibility=on&items_per_page= [www.sidefx.com]

There was a hanging issue with volumes fixed in 20.0.582 (which 20.0.506 seems quite old).

We have tried to reproduce the issue with husk hanging when rendering but without any success. If some renders complete, but take longer, then, it sounds like it might be something other than a hanging issue. We've also been unable to reproduce this.

As a note, if you're rendering on Linux or OSX, you can send husk a USR1 signal, which will cause husk to save out a snapshot of the current state. Not sure if this might help.

It is something we're continuing to look into.
4 posts
The update has resolved the problem and now volume for me are rendering fine.
Thanks
40 posts
I am still running into the same issue as originally when I started this thread. I can see some comments about volumes being fixed, but I just want to iterate that this is very much still an issue.

1. The problem is that when launching a task via Husk it gets stuck after a certain random frame and the process does not "Complete" and therefore Husk is unable to move onto the next frame. Again this is random. It can occur on frame 1001 and just as likely on frame 1017 for example.

2. We have noticed that the problem seems to occur more frequently (but not exclusively) on larger scenes. E.g many dependencies or larger polycount scene. I will try and flatten down a scene where the issue can be reproduced and send it across to SideFX, but honestly this can be very difficult as often the layered nature of many USD files can be difficult to flatten down and work 100% the same as the non flattened version. The scene I am trying to render now have over 25,000 descendants for example, which is made up of 1000's of .USD files on disk.

3. When SideFX says they have investigated the problem and can NOT reproduce the issue, I would urge SideFX to share the details or share their scene so we can see what has been tested and how. A sphere in a scene with some lights will most likely work fine, it is when the scene complexity starts to rise the issue occurs.

I launched a render again yesterday and was rendering for + 10 hours. It rendered 1 frame and I got a .exr file on disk. However the "task" never completes and husk continues to use 4-5% of my CPU and keeps hanging unable to move to the next frame. I launched the same job this morning and it then got stuck on frame 1009, so again random. I am on Houdini 19.5.640, RenderMan 25.2, Windows 11.

Here is the process stuck in Windows Task Manager:

Here is the task in PDG Window, forever cooking:
Edited by kskovbo - 2024年2月12日 09:00:01

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-02-12 095131.png (243.6 KB)
Screenshot 2024-02-12 095005.png (15.6 KB)

9 posts
I have the same issue, not sure if this is relevant but I recognized it more often when I added cryptomatte. anyone find a solution? thx

houdini 20.0.547 and karma
Edited by zatlax - 2024年2月20日 06:27:03
  • Quick Links