toon rendering

15512   12   4
10 posts
Hello

Several posts, speaks about “toon render” / “celshading” in Houdini, but it seems there is not easy solution to get this kind of render in Houdini.

Does anyone tried to get this effect, for an houdini scene, in a third party renderer ?

Thanks in advance for any help/informations.
130 posts
Hi,

1) Houdini's vector renderer is WREN. See:
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini10.0/nodes/out/wren [sidefx.com]

As far as I remember you can get the most flexible effects by compositing together the WREN and MANTRA outputs.

2) You can achieve some nice toon-like shading using the “ramp” material, in the material gallery - no need to write your own shader, simply adjust the color ramp to generate more flat, toon-like shading.

Hope that helps,
Greg
10 posts
I tried the ramp material

I removed opacity
I add two color point
I place Point 2 and 3 very close
I set point 1 and 2 to “red”,
I set point 3 and 4 to “dark red”

Then I get a cellshading render (only the color, not the line).

Concerning WREN and mantra, I'm looking for a tutorial (because I don't really understand). If anyone have any advice for a tutorial allowing me to understand those two, thanks. After learning both of these I suppose I'll be able to create a celshading effect.

Thanks
スタッフ
1182 posts
There is some info in the notes for this gallery item:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1225&Itemid=279 [sidefx.com]

It uses Wren along with a GI pass - Houdini's compositing nodes are used to bring the images together.

Robert
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
130 posts
Hi,

See the attached hip file - make sure you have the “Composite View” activated, and wait a couple of seconds - the final composite is feeding it's data directly from render drivers (mantra + wren), and layering them together.

After all, I used vex_toon shader, rather than than using the simple_ramp material - it is much less controllable, but very quick to set up.

Cheers,
Greg

Attachments:
toon_rendering.01.hip (252.8 KB)
toon_compo.png (34.6 KB)

10 posts
Thanks for the answer.

very good result.

Unfortunately, I've got an apprentice licence, so I can't open “.hip” file.
7722 posts
PP789
Unfortunately, I've got an apprentice licence, so I can't open “.hip” file.

There is no such restriction.
10 posts
Ouups :roll:

I made a mistake. You're absolutely right, I can open hip file with apprentice.

I tought I can't open hip file, because I can't save as hip file.

This software is soooooooooo COOL !

In fact I've don't really understand why they create 2 file format. I don't really see the difference between both.

Now it's time to me to learn more about houdini to fully understand material.

Thanks everybody
7722 posts
PP789
In fact I've don't really understand why they create 2 file format. I don't really see the difference between both.

.hipnc is the NON-commercial file format while .hip is the commercial file format. Loading a non-commercial .hipnc will always cause your Houdini session to go into non-commercial mode (with watermarked panes, non-commercial limitations, etc). Basically, it just means that everything will work with loading except that you can't convert non-commercial files into commercial ones.
10 posts
thanks it's more clear now.

I'm now learning shader nodes, it's a bit strange at the begining but seems very powerfull.
56 posts
Does anyone know how to make fluids or particles look like toons? is it even possible?

Lacy, gently, wafting curtains.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN3eBvZvUXk [youtube.com]
20 posts
edward
PP789

.hipnc is the NON-commercial file format while .hip is the commercial file format. Loading a non-commercial .hipnc will always cause your Houdini session to go into non-commercial mode (with watermarked panes, non-commercial limitations, etc). Basically, it just means that everything will work with loading except that you can't convert non-commercial files into commercial ones.

but how come WREN doesnt work for me in the non-commercial edition?? and is there any other good shaders for architectural renderings??
Cheers
ViSiKa
194 posts
I have a question about the attached hip file.

I can copy the shopnet1 node to a new file and it works pretty well, however, I don't seem to be able to drop down a toon node from the tab menu… even though there is already one inside the shopnet (this is in houdini 11.1 and also in 12.1)

also, i see a handful of other nodes in the help file which seem to not be available (soft toon, krinkle… a bunch of them…).

What am I missing here?

12++
  • Quick Links