When is the next version of houdini coming out?

8688   13   2
8 posts
Hello, I'm new here and I was just thinking about buying Houdini apprentice HD, but I want to know when the next version of this program is coming out.

Thanks
249 posts
Doubt you will get a response.

I too am waiting for the next version HD. Ive been on 9.5 for a while now but im dying for an update.
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
スタッフ
1182 posts
Release dates for the next version is not something we are talking about right now. My suggestion is that if you don't need HD rendering at this moment then work with the free Apprentice to develop skills and build up your scene files then either go with HD if you really NEED to render in HD without a watermark or wait until the next version.

Robert

phrenzy84 - you mention that you have 9.5 HD which means that you did not upgrade to 10. Upgrades for HD only go back one release so anything that comes after 10 will require a new purchase. (You could upgrade to 10 then upgrade to the next release but that would actually cost more ($69+$69 compared to $99) but then if you need a feature in 10 today then that might be worth it for you.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
8 posts
Will you guys ever have just a 30 day trail? I really think that would make sense
678 posts
vakwante
Will you guys ever have just a 30 day trail? I really think that would make sense

What ? :shock:
575 posts
vakwante

haha,You made my day
249 posts
vakwante

This must be autodesk sent to piss off free apprentice users hehe .

rmagee: Yeah, while 10 is extremely tempting. Im gonna wait for the next version. I still play with 10 every now and again (free) but for a only few features that aren't complete in 9.5 (ie SSS) im finding workarounds which is helping me expand my Houdini brain .
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
8 posts
lol you guys are a little ridiculous. First off I'm not from autodesk and on that note autodesk is giving all students full access to alot of there programs, including maya and 3dsmax… so they can learn with out BS resolution and water marks.

But what I was saying about the 30 day trial is that I can really see if I wanna buy this, I can't composite a water mark and a small resolution, well I can but it really doesn't give me the full feel like autodesk, C4D, and other 3d apps.

Just making a suggesting…
1390 posts
vakwante
lol you guys are a little ridiculous. First off I'm not from autodesk and on that note autodesk is giving all students full access to alot of there programs, including maya and 3dsmax… so they can learn with out BS resolution and water marks.

But what I was saying about the 30 day trial is that I can really see if I wanna buy this, I can't composite a water mark and a small resolution, well I can but it really doesn't give me the full feel like autodesk, C4D, and other 3d apps.

Just making a suggesting…

You can composite internally with Halo using Houdini's pic format without introducing watermark.
8 posts
I know but I'd much rather use a real life situation use nuke and all have footage from all over the place come into one program.

Don't get me wrong so far I love houdini
1390 posts
vakwante
I know but I'd much rather use a real life situation use nuke and all have footage from all over the place come into one program.
Don't get me wrong so far I love houdini

Ok, interesting point of view. I think at some conditions one can manage to get from sesi evaluation license though for a serious buyer spending 100$ for hd wouldn't be a problem. The problem is how you can compare hypocrisy policy of a huge company that supplies 30 days trials of selected platforms (no linux trials!) + students versions on obscure conditions (sometime you have to buy it, sometimes not, you may expect cheap upgrades to commercial version but you never know!), knowing well, that a half of the world is using its products in cracked versions for educational / personal projects. Funny, isn't it?

SESI makes things simple, lots of freedom to try, and clear commercial deal.
8 posts
Not sure if I understand your post but I sure hope your not accusing me of prating, I don't think you were but just give you a backround of where I'm coming from, I'm a full time student working towards a degree totally irrelevant to the VFX world but I'm also taking FXPHD classes where they have Maya, and nuke (along with some other programs) on their VPN for all members. I'm really thinking I want to end up doing something with the VFX side. And Houdini seems like a amazing tool that would be great to composite affects over my other real life and 3d footage into nuke. The reason I was wondering when the next version is coming out is because 69 bucks is alot for me at the moment.

Thanks for the replys though.
288 posts
The Answer is :

Not too soon but in the future…..haha
^_^
639 posts
When i was still in school long ago, there was no “Apprentice” edition like there is now. I paid about USD$250/year for student license. That was a lot for me as a poor student, but it was well worth it! $100 is a great deal, IMHO!
  • Quick Links