RBD Point Object - not working on my scene

2332   4   1
252 posts
Hi, I've attached a scene where I followed the Go Procedural Lesson 1 Quickstart tutorial.. and I'm kinda stuck with the part where I'm supposed to use the RBD Point Object to instance the columns to the points of a polygon circle for rigid body simulation.

What happens in my scene is that the columns would just disappear after the operation.

But I did test it on a new scene with just a Box, and it works.

Regards,
Jeff

Attachments:
column_destruction.hipnc (104.0 KB)

2624 posts
But I did test it on a new scene with just a Box, and it works.

Testing and trying to debug why things don't work is a good skill to have, if your work flow works on a box , peel open your scene and start replacing nodes or turning them off. ie pipe a box where the column geo goes into DOP's > see what happens. The beauty of Houdini is at least you know where to find everything so you can work backwards to debug.

Rob
Gone fishing
252 posts
Thanks again Rob

I did a test on just simple boxes and took close attention to what's happening inside the autoDopNetwork, I'm beginning to have a much clearer sense of the flow. Working it off from a much simpler scene helps make me understand it much easier.

I'll update this thread if I find the source of the problem.

Thanks and kind regards,
Jeff
252 posts
Finally found the problem, and it was such a newbie mistake ops:

On a simple working scene.. the clue I found was that the DOP Network had the parameter Time Step colored Green. But on my ‘non-working’ scene.. the same parameter was colored Cyan.

Then looking through the help file, it mentioned that a cyan colored paramter may have the current frame not be a keyframe.

So I looked at where my current frame is.. and lo and behold, I was not at frame 1 while while doing the RBD Point Object procedure!

Lesson learned.. (which I now remember the tutorial was constantly reminding the viewer).. always go back to frame 1! :!:

I also learned that Houdini saves your current time with the file.

Thanks again Rob for having patience to new guys like me
2624 posts
Its never a mistake, when working with Houdini and solving problems you run into this stuff all the time. My best advis is keep a online note book you can use to store information and scene files, that you can refer to any time.
unless that is you have a photographic memory!

Rob
Gone fishing
  • Quick Links