Houdini apprentice FX or Escape?

8882   9   1
11 posts
Hello,

Is it possible to turn houdini apprentice FX into Escape/Basic version?

I've also see into the pipeline diagram (http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1021&Itemid=270) [sidefx.com] that the “particles and dynamics” can be created in Houdini FX and then simulated and rendered in Houdini.
I want to know how this step works, you need to export a bgeo file?
How to create a fx in Houdini FX and then simulated it in Houdini Escape.

Thanks
349 posts
1. If you open your start menu (assuming it's windows), navigate to the Side Effects folder, you can fire up Houdini instead of Houdini FX.

If you were to write out particles to disk as points you could render them in Houdini, as at the end of the day, they are only points. You should be able to render out a sim if it is a bgeo (I think..), as it is just a geometry type and not a simulation network.

You can't simulate anything dynamic in Houdini by the look of the product guide, so even if you built the sim network in FX, Houdini product wouldn't support it.
11 posts
Thank you for the reply ragupasta.

Actually i am on linux, but when i try to launch houdini or houdiniFx via the exe file situated into the bin folder, i've always a houdini FX version.

Ok for the simulation writed to the disk, but i don't understand if i look on the pipeline picture (http://www.sidefx.com/images/stories/products/overview/pipeline.png), [sidefx.com] it's notice that the vfx can be animated and simulated inside houdini. So is it possible to create VFX (setup/rig) inside houdini FX and then use it it?
スタッフ
2540 posts
Houdini can definitely open and simulate a HoudiniFX file. No issues there.

If you want to work with a simulation, tweak settings, change sources, then you need to make an Obj or SOP HDA out of your DOP network. If you do this, then you can promote whatever parms from your DOP network up to the top obj/sop level and modify your sim.

Given that all sources are in SOPs, it is easy to make the HDA so you can feed in any sources (sources, pumps, colliders, etc) but you have to build this all in as you can not edit the DOP network in Houdini.
There's at least one school like the old school!
11 posts
thanks jeff for the reply, i understand better now.

But i've always a problem when i try want to turn my apprentice FX version onto escape.
I am under linux ubuntu when i go inside the bin folder, i've one executable for houdini and one linked executable houdini FX. So when i launch houdini execute file or houdiniFX execute file i have always a FX version with all the dynamic and particle parameters. Is there a way to turn houdini FX into Houdini Escape on linux ubuntu?

Thanks
スタッフ
2540 posts
I see. You need to have a Houdini (formerly Escape) license to run Houdini.

You can't run Houdini with a HoudiniFX license.
スタッフ
1182 posts
And Houdini Apprentice licenses are always Houdini FX licenses so it won't open base Houdini either.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
51 posts
Just out of curiosity as a beginner:

Why would you want to do that?
Isn't HoudiniFX like Houdini plus all the fun stuff?

Or is Houdini “Basic/Escape” offering some features I do not know of?
スタッフ
2540 posts
Cost is the issue for paying subscribed customers. Houdini costs less than HoudiniFX hence the motivation to author simulation tools in HFX that work in H.

As an apprentice user, you have access to HoudiniFX so no issues.
51 posts
That makes sense.
Thanks for the answer!
  • Quick Links