H14 boot up time on osx

2647   8   0
2624 posts
I experience a marked difference between booting up h14 ( very slow ) and H13 . The H14 help also takes a very long time to appear from a blank page to tyhe help index. I am just wondering if anyone else gets this experience with Houdini 14 and OSX .

Rob
Gone fishing
30 posts
The boot time is ok for me - at least I didn't noticed anything unusual.
I can confirm that the web browser is still a little bit slower when loading a page, but MUCH better than it was before (production build for example).
On the other hand my system freezes for a couple of seconds after houdini quits.

OSX 10.10.2
379 posts
@pavelPeh
Exactly same happens here, on rMBP with latest Yosemite. However I am using ubuntu most of time now and it is much better experience working with Houdini.
スタッフ
4444 posts
I have also seen some brief lockups when shutting down Houdini on my MBP, but I think it has to do with the laptop switching from the nVidia graphics card to the Intel HD graphics. There's a utility called gfxCardStatus that lets you lock into one graphics card or the other which would let you see if this is the problem you're seeing (lock it into Discrete Graphics mode and see if the lockups go away). If it is the video card switching there's not much we can do about it…

Mark
2624 posts
Hi Mark , its not the video card effecting the boot time or the help taking forever even with OSX 10.10.2 its slow enough I can walk away and make a cup of tea. No other applications are running.

rob
Gone fishing
181 posts
I'm still on OS X 10.9.5, and haven't observed any such slowdown.

Apple's Console utility can sometimes provide a hint about where to look more closely to diagnose a problem. A slew of nearly identical warnings often indicates a problem.

30 posts
Hi, Mark!
Thanks for the tip.I switched to nVidia only and the slowdown after shutdown is gone.
Probably there is nothing you can do aboit it. Not a big deal.
スタッフ
4444 posts
circusmonkey
Hi Mark , its not the video card effecting the boot time or the help taking forever even with OSX 10.10.2 its slow enough I can walk away and make a cup of tea. No other applications are running.

No, I was not suggesting the video card as the culprit for the startup time, just the shutdown time. I have never seen this length of delay on startup, and I'm always running un-optimized builds…

If you wouldn't mind, could you start up Houdini, and while it is starting up do a “Sample Process” from the Activity Monitor? It sounds like you might even have time to do several Sample->Save->Refresh->Save->Refresh->Save cycles before Houdini actually comes up… That should give us a pretty good idea of how Houdini is spending its time during this startup time.

You can just post the results here, or submit with a bug.

Thanks!
Mark
スタッフ
4444 posts
pavelPeh
Thanks for the tip.I switched to nVidia only and the slowdown after shutdown is gone.
Probably there is nothing you can do aboit it. Not a big deal.

Cool, thanks for the confirmation. And no, I don't think we can do anything about it. Well, we can point our finger at Apple, but that's about it

Mark
  • Quick Links