POP Shape Match DOP is missing - Is this deprecated.

2948   5   0
15 posts
POP Shape Match DOP is missing - Is this deprecated.

Moreover this is not getting listed when I tried listing it using opunhide. This is really frustrating.

How to get it ? Any help.
スタッフ
6270 posts
It is deprecated, as of Houdini 13.0. It worked only with the old-style POPs.

It still exists, so I'm not sure why it doesn't show up when revealed.

I would recommend using the Grain tools in Houdini 14.0 for a similar fast softbody effect.
8619 posts
opunhide Dop popshapematch
seems to work for me and it's showing in DOPs under Tab menu, but I'm not sure how useful it is at this point
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
15 posts
Hi Tomas & Jeff

I never expected you guys would jump in and reply. I take this opportunity to thankyou guys for inspiration.
Tomas - Yes your opunhide helped me. I have not entered the command correctly. Did you upload your SIGGRAPH presentation?

Jeff I have a suggestion. My hats off to you and you are genius. Unlike other apps, Houdini is indeed a kind of Dark Art app. I learned Maya in few months. I have learned SOPs, CHOPs easily but not DOPs. There is always a mystery lurking in there plus its slow due to the nature of data complexity. I appreciate your effort in multithreading & OpenCL-ing.
I was going thru some old sideFx tuts on DOPs and I had to watch 2-3 times just to understand how the nodes are put together to achieve an effect. There are zillion nodes in DOPs and there could be so many ways they can be wired. I come across this node and you say its deprecated two versions earlier and you are suggesting Grain tools as a better workflow. How on earth would any one know this? This is like 10 steps advance. Can we prepare a spreadsheet of the nodes that detail what is currently available and what are deprecated and alternate better workflows/nodes one should go for. Without through node vocabulary I don't think one can take the work beyond the world can imagine.
I think we need more help on DOPs. The Houdini veterans can decipher easily but for newbies we need help man. Documentation update is the only basic help. You should take off a day or two and on each node just scribble your gems as whether the node is ok or you are planning to deprecate and alternate node that we should start using it and so on.

Thanks a lot.
スタッフ
6270 posts
We are trying to get better with our deprecation messages. With H15, we are able to add messages so when you load old .hip files we can provide ideas of where to go for the new behaviour. We really should do a better job providing this information directly in the help. We can't remove the shape match help from Houdini; as you may load old .hip files that /have the node and want to know what it does. But we certainly should make it clear in the help that the node is deprecated and you should try the Grain shelf tools.

A list of deprecated nodes in DOPs is surprisingly short, at least judging from the OPcustomize file.

What broke the shape match was the switch over to making POPs first class microsolvers in DOPs rather than a sub-network. This required all POP based workflows to change, and unfortunately broke a lot of old tutorials.
4540 posts
A single page probably per context and one for VEX functions, etc would be pretty easy to read IMO.

So it could list the old operators per version:

H12:

VOPSOP -> AttribVOP

(VEX Functions)

H12:

getneighbour -> neighbour

etc

This should be good enough I think.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
  • Quick Links