What to do

2589   5   1
1 posts
hey guys, I have recently finished digital tutors “introduction to houdini 15” and was wondering where I should go from here and what my main focus should be.

cheers.
459 posts
If you already have a Digital Tutors membership i would just keep doing the newer Houdini tutorials there. There's a lot of “Introduction to ..” some sub-theme of Houdini.

-b
http://www.racecar.no [www.racecar.no]
スタッフ
3456 posts
be sure to lok through the tutorials and masterclasses here under the Learn tab
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
2042 posts
I think that depends on how good your “memory” is. And I mean your brains memory not computers.

When I first started Houdini I went through as much of the tutorials that were available.

But at some point you become saturated and can't hold on to remembering too much.

I have found the best approach is to think about what you would like to create ( and be ambitious even if your only a beginner )

This will help narrow down which tutorials and areas of Houdini to focus on at the same time giving you experience in applying what your learning instead of simply following a tutorial.
182 posts
Aggree with Babaj. Tutorials are great, but a personal project keeps you focused Set yourself a goal, but keep it simple (!) If you try to overachieve and fail you will just be frustrated ( Believe me, we've all been there ). If you hit a roadblock, just ask in the forum and I'm sure a lot of people will help you out

Also from time to time open the help browser and type a random letter, then select a random page and read it.
This might sound ridiculous, but you'll be surprised how often you find something new about a node or a function you use all the time.
1799 posts
I would have to +1 this. Tutorials are great to learn “vocabulary” (and you can still watch them), but putting Houdini to a practical use is easily the BEST way to learn it. In my first days learning Houdini, I would force myself to solve problems at work in Houdini, while still watching (just watching, not “following and doing”) tutorials to learn vocabulary and helped a lot

also keep in mind that there are MANY ways to solve problems in Houdini, and the first solution that you come up for something will seem obsolete after a year of using it. Enjoy! it's been a fun ride since I got into it!
-G
  • Quick Links