How to transfer colors from heightfield to converted poly geometry?

5882   6   3
53 posts
I'm experimenting with heightfields and get quite interesting results. Now I'd like to convert it to polygons with the convertheightfield sop. Unfortunately the colors are gone now. Is there a way to transfer the colors from the heightfield to my polygon mesh?
53 posts
I'm answering the question myself. I simply didn't realize that all needed attributes are transferred to the polygon as point attributes, so coloring is not a problem at all.
605 posts
I'm not getting the same Viewport colors after the convert sop. The colors seems to be transfered in a planar UV style, versus the Height based colors in the Viewport.

Can you share your findings?

edit: Here's what I get from Convert.
{Terrain is Left, Polygon from Convert is Right}
Edited by TwinSnakes007 - 2017年3月1日 09:45:41

Attachments:
H16.0.534_Terrian_Convert.jpg (207.9 KB)

Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
スタッフ
6205 posts
We probably should have deleted the material path when we convert to polygons….

What you are seeing there is the HeightField Material being applied to your polygons. However, it then uses the new UV set generated, unaware that in the original material it was set to tri-planar projection. Your actual points don't have any colour in that case.

The current requirement is to use the attributes that were copied over (giving you water, debris, and the Y position) to rebuild your colours directly. I think we will have to add an explicit bake-colour mode to HeightField Convert as this is not something we should require everyone to re-invent.
605 posts
Thank you for explaining that…I was totally confused about how I was even seeing any color at all since there's no Cd attribute.

At least now I can make an HDA and guarantee predicable results for export, until the bake-colour option is added.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
スタッフ
6205 posts
Tomorrow's build should have a Bake Point Color option. It also destroys the shop_materialpath in any case, so will give you a grey mountain by default rather than the incorrectly textured one.
605 posts
Oh wow. Thank you very much.

edit: Works like'a charm.
Edited by TwinSnakes007 - 2017年3月2日 18:11:20
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
  • Quick Links