Will disk drive replacement affect Indie license?

1286   2   2
15 posts
Thanks to $150 1TB SSDs from Prime Day, I'm going to shortly be doing a drive upgrade on my Win 10 laptop that has my first Indie license on it. Is this likely to be painless, or can I expect to have to jump through licensing hoops afterwards? I'll be doing a drive clone rather than a clean install.

Tnx!
806 posts
Moin,

it is likely to be painless, based on my experience.

I know that people frequently are experiencing issues with SideFX' license manager - luckily, so far I haven't had any problems with it. When trying out Linux on my PC for the 128th time or so I was able to use the same license I used on Windows on the same machine simply by setting HOSTNAME to the same value it had on Windows. And that was using a different HD with the Windows HD being hidden. So I'd say: You should be safe as long as you keep your system's name.

Most licensing systems base their “lock” on the system's first network card's MAC address. That, too, would not be touched by changing (or adding) drives.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
スタッフ
1182 posts
The best way to avoid issues is to return your license before you make the change then reacquire it on the new drive. You can do this by opening up the license admin app and from the File menu select Return Selected Licenses. Then after you replace your drive, go back to this app and Install them again.

Every user can do this a couple times per year. This is meant to deal with hardware changes.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
  • Quick Links