One minute silence for our Substance user friends

2233   7   1
19 posts
Houdini Indi users!
Lets hold eachother's hands and share a minute of silence for our Substance indi user friends.
And let us pray together to our god, let it be anywear:
- Please god, save Kim Davidson from sinful desires if once he will want to have a “Peter Jackson moment”

https://medium.com/@sebastien.deguy/https-medium-com-sebastien-deguy-my-peter-jackson-moment-7dd64ba1d1f1
Edited by tardigrad3 - 2019年1月24日 08:01:34
670 posts
SideFX (given they have enough developers) should use this opportunity.
https://procegen.konstantinmagnus.de/ [procegen.konstantinmagnus.de]
19 posts
Konstantin Magnus
SideFX (given they have enough developers) should use this opportunity.

I bought and own a full product bundle by Allegorythmic, thats how I share the following:
That would be a great move… It generated a huge hoole in the market. Of course they are saying that nothing will be changed, but come on… we all know how it will be (Adobe already anonced in their blog that Substance softwares will be part of the CC bundle - crazy right? Substance.. it's like the most surreal dream!)
By the way, it was shocking to watch how they lost their community in a few hours…a community who was basically IN LOVE with Allegorythmic.
I never in my life saw such amount and such deep confusion, hate and frustration on a forum in shuch short time interval…
900 posts
Please SideFX give COPs some love!
4189 posts
Sounds like the indie business model, that substance used, isn't that successful then.

If we use Modo as a template then the original substance team will be gone from Adobe in approx 5 year. Usually indie and corporate cultures don't mix IMO.

SideFx, in addition to producing great software,
could give business courses in what it takes to stay independent!
19 posts
fuos
Sounds like the indie business model, that substance used, isn't that successful then.

If we use Modo as a template then the original substance team will be gone from Adobe in approx 5 year. Usually indie and corporate cultures don't mix IMO.

SideFx, in addition to producing great software,
could give business courses in what it takes to stay independent!

It's really hard to imagine that Allegorythmic had bad income - AKA they had bad Indi business model. They were rockstars! I know a bunch of 3D artists that use just pirated softwares, but most of them bought Substance…

I'm saying the following not becouse we are on these forums, but it is a fact actually, that Houdini Indi starts to walk on the same shoes. Specially since v 17. PolyDraw opened up the gates. Since 17 atrist are looking on Houdini Indi as the ULTIMATE tool that they CAN even PAY FOR and not pirate it as all indi artist do it with Autodesk products. I my self arrived with the same wave - Come from Maya LT + Blender + Substance “indi masterplan” learner 3Ds MAX (the absolute nonsense for an Indi artist due to it's subscription plan and I did not wanted to pirate what I use) I'm still an absolute noob in Houdini, but I saw enoughe that I never wanna turn back. And anyone I meet from art world, I have just one suggestion: “buy Houdini Indi”
But this is how we been with Substance… and we bought it…and giant VFX companies bought their non-indi license as well, and biggest games studios bought there product as well, it seemed that everyone loved it, everyone bought it. For now I doubt that there is way too many pipelines that do not use Substance (ok there is Mari, some giant movie companies prefer it due to UDIM texturing) And now… it seems that it's all just a failed business model, they cry a river that they had no money and had to sell their company to Adobe.

And it's not just about the disappointment, that they took my money basicaly a month ago for the 2019 sub and they were silente like a grave due to this Adobe storyboard. It's not about the money or being a snowflake with my “beloved” software, but the time that we invest to learn it, to build it into our workflows based on our trust to the direction of the company and building up on it our long term goals…
A situation like this always rings the paranoia bell My first original post was of course a joke, but well.. sometimes I feel like that maybe it really would be nice to pray a bit - becouse lets be honest, what else I can do - that I do not wanna wake up one day and reading an annoncement that “Houdini indi is gone for good” after I integrated the system into my workflow, I learned it, I use it as a pillar of my CG art and freelancer career, leared Python as an artist (it's like learning to fly for us basicaly, same flash, but same difficulty level as well )

summarizing: long live Houdini Indi
30 posts
Reading between the lines of things I have read over the past day I see some logic here. Adobe are looking to launch a 3d-Adobe Cloud subs. The existing bunch of stuff is very “flat” well 2d. They still need to buy a modeller btw (Modo or C4D seem likely - Houdini not ). The Allegoritmic guys are first in and will build this empire. They hope it will make them rich and famous. Good luck to them I say. It may or may not work.

I have a Adobe Cloud Sub. I have a perpetual license for SP and SD - so I am somewhat ambivalent about the move. I do frequently wish I could pick and mix a subset of Adobe Cloud apps for a lower price point, and would pick and mix with a 3d bias. So I have some interest in this working out.
Edited by mmc - 2019年1月25日 08:39:04
475 posts
Just like some people on Allego forums have foreseen at the time of the takeover, Adobe liquidates perpetual licenses. It seems that after “November 2019, the new subscriptions will not include buy-out option anymore” and they say that “you can still purchase perpetual Indie licenses for Substance Painter and Substance Designer through Steam”. Blah, blah.
Source: https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php/topic,30855.0.html [forum.substance3d.com]

I hope that eventually either SideFX or Blender Foundation will come up with a nice alternative to SD.
Edited by ajz3d - 2019年10月8日 22:06:39
  • Quick Links