Karma keeps on crashing Houdini

3399   7   1
6 posts
I tried out Solaris with an pre-existing non-USD project and once I get to a scence with a few more polys and try to add/modify textures, Karma keeps on killing Houdini.
There is no error message, no logs, no crash file. It simply disappears. I was watching my RAM and it is not even above 16GB (out of 64GB).
I tried both Houdini 18.0.460 (production) and 18.0.475 (daily) releases.

I can't share the full scene and I wasn't able to reproduce it with a smaller scene.

What should I do? Make a YouTube video out of it?
Edited by Grische - 2020年5月23日 18:43:21
スタッフ
4438 posts
Karma is still in beta after all, so there are bound to be bugs. But we'd love to get any reproduceable test cases you can provide. Crash logs and hip files are the only thing that is likely to help us track the issue. Can you submit a hip file to our support team (where it won't be accessible to anyone outside SideFX)?
6 posts
mtucker
Karma is still in beta after all, so there are bound to be bugs. But we'd love to get any reproduceable test cases you can provide. Crash logs and hip files are the only thing that is likely to help us track the issue. Can you submit a hip file to our support team (where it won't be accessible to anyone outside SideFX)?

I am aware that Karma is in Beta, but the GL preview renderer seems some issue with textures, so it is hard to work with it. As far as I am aware only Karma and the SideFX GL hydra delegate support principle shaders.

As mentioned, unfortunately there are no crash logs or crash hip files.

The HIP file + all dependencies (caches/textures) is around 50GB in size. I might be able to reduce the size by freezing some of the nodes and hence skip some caches.
If that is feasible for you, I can try uploading them to one of your servers.
7757 posts
If I get a crash when switching from another delegate (RPR) to Karma, is it RPR's fault, Karma's or Houdini's?

Attachments:
crash.transi_light_comparison.Jon_Mack_20576_log.txt (3.5 KB)

スタッフ
4438 posts
jsmack
If I get a crash when switching from another delegate (RPR) to Karma, is it RPR's fault, Karma's or Houdini's?

That crash log makes it look like it's Houdini's fault, but it's impossible to say for sure. Does it always happen when making that switch? Or randomly? Or with a specific hip file?
スタッフ
4438 posts
Grische
I am aware that Karma is in Beta, but the GL preview renderer seems some issue with textures, so it is hard to work with it. As far as I am aware only Karma and the SideFX GL hydra delegate support principle shaders.

As mentioned, unfortunately there are no crash logs or crash hip files.

The HIP file + all dependencies (caches/textures) is around 50GB in size. I might be able to reduce the size by freezing some of the nodes and hence skip some caches.
If that is feasible for you, I can try uploading them to one of your servers.

When you create a material with the principled shader, we also create a USD Preview Surface approximation to the principled shader. Most render delegates tend to support the USD Preview Surface as a “lowest common denominator” shader for cases where there isn't a renderer-specific shader available in a given material.

50GB seems impractical, and if it's a lot of work getting it down to a reasonable size, and you can't reproduce the problem with a simpler test case (maybe try pulling out a single asset from your scene?) I wouldn't want to ask you to spend a lot of time on this. At the same time, if we can't reproduce it we can't fix it… So if you can make a reproduceable test case, we'd rather have a huge file that reproduces the problem rather than no way to reproduce it at all.

Alternatively we could try to attack this a different way… What OS are you running? If it's Windows (which I suspect it is given the lack of crash logs), maybe we can walk you through some steps to help you to get a good crash log you can send us? If you're willing to help with that, could you please contact support@sidefx.com and point them to this thread?

The problem is that a crash really could be caused by anything. Maybe there is one texture map among your 20GB of texture data that karma is failing to read for some reason. Or maybe there is one badly authored primvar on one piece of geometry. Or maybe karma is crashing while trying to subdivide a particularly complex piece of geometry. There's just no way to know without a crash log…
7757 posts
mtucker
jsmack

That crash log makes it look like it's Houdini's fault, but it's impossible to say for sure. Does it always happen when making that switch? Or randomly? Or with a specific hip file?

Seems pretty rare. I've been switching delegates pretty frequently in some test scenes (very simple ones) without any issues, except for this one crash.
6 posts
mtucker
Alternatively we could try to attack this a different way… What OS are you running? If it's Windows (which I suspect it is given the lack of crash logs), maybe we can walk you through some steps to help you to get a good crash log you can send us? If you're willing to help with that, could you please contact support@sidefx.com and point them to this thread?

Yes, I am using Windows and I would be willing to help you guys! I'll contact support directly.

Thanks!
  • Quick Links