LOPs LOD and Instancing

2857   6   1
24 posts
Hi,

I was wondering if there is any examples of the use of createLOD and AutoSelectLOD.
Is it only used for primitives that are placed in the scene instead of instanced?

I looked into the nodes and how they work and it seems like it cant be used for the instance node for LOPs,
as the instance node works in a SOP area where the createLOD and AutoSelectLOD cant be created.
The attribute wrangle in the AutoselectLOD references nodes in the LOPs space which I'm not sure how to reference
in SOP's space.

I can import the different LOD's into a collection then connect it to the instancer node
and assign the primitive name for each points however I can not import the camera from the LOPs space to create
my own LOD select.

Is there a way to import the camera from LOPs to SOPs space as objectmerge does not allow the selection of LOPs nodes.
Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks in advance
15 posts
If you found a way to set LODs for instanced objects in LOPs, I would be thankful for sharing it I asked myself the same question..
20 posts
also interested in this!
スタッフ
4438 posts
Importing a camera from LOPs can be done with the LOP Import Camera object. OR any USD prim's xform can be imported with the more generic LOP Import Object. Though you can also use the `usd_*` VEX functions in wrangles in SOPs to pull information from USD primitives directly.

As for USD composition, if you are using a point instancer for your instancing, then you need a separate prototype pre-configured with each LOD setting. If you are using native instancing, if the LOD variant choice is on the top level instanced primitive then you can set the LOD variant on each instance. USD will automatically create a unique (hidden) prototype prim for each LOD selection.
32 posts
mtucker
Importing a camera from LOPs can be done with the LOP Import Camera object. OR any USD prim's xform can be imported with the more generic LOP Import Object. Though you can also use the `usd_*` VEX functions in wrangles in SOPs to pull information from USD primitives directly.

As for USD composition, if you are using a point instancer for your instancing, then you need a separate prototype pre-configured with each LOD setting. If you are using native instancing, if the LOD variant choice is on the top level instanced primitive then you can set the LOD variant on each instance. USD will automatically create a unique (hidden) prototype prim for each LOD selection.

So say for example you had an environment which was used over many shots. If we wanted to use lods (variants) with instancing, we would have to create separate prototypes for each one? Even if in some shots we wouldn't be able to see certain lods?
スタッフ
4438 posts
Yes. But in a point instancer, unused prototypes are pretty close to free.
1 posts
Hi, could you please elaborate a bit more on how to go about using the autoselectlod node with point instancing?

I built a base setup with instanceable references which works as expected, but I had no luck with the point instancer.
Please see the attached hip.

Thanks for any pointers!
Martin

Attachments:
autoselectlod.hip (549.7 KB)

• Quick Links