Scripting: Is there a way to use PolyExtrude as a nodeVerb?

1867   7   1
27 posts
Using Python. Is there a way to use PolyExtrude as a nodeVerb? hou.sopNodeTypeCategory().nodeVerb('polyextrude::2.0')return None.

I know I can use createNode() or createOutputNode() but I don't want an actual node on the graph. I would prefer to use nodeVerb because I have a set of actions I want to execute on a list of objects (created via nodeVerb) so creating nodes is not ideal. My set of actions will be in a function. I intend to loop through the objects, passing in the object geometry into my function.

Something like:
node = hou.pwd()
parentGeo = node.geometry()
parentGeo.clear()

geo = hou.Geometry()
verb = hou.sopNodeTypeCategory().nodeVerb('box')
verb.execute(geo, [])

# PolyExtrude goes here...

parentGeo.merge(geo)

Or is there another way that doesn't require creating nodes?
7771 posts
dude.
8555 posts
you can use verbs only with compilable nodes, and polyextrude is not compilable yet
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
27 posts
Sigh. I was hoping there was a way.
159 posts
You can use HDK to write a verb to include GU_PolyExtrude2.h and then write function exactly like the Poly Extrude node. The verb version is compilable and can be used in Python as nodeVerb.

If you need the node, I can upload the .dll file then, also you can write some HDK and it's easy to do with the examples shipped with the Houdini installer.
Edited by EricSheng - 2020年8月27日 19:46:30

Attachments:
simpleextrude.png (278.0 KB)

27 posts
@EricSheng When you say upload the .dll, do you mean an HDK written to just act like the PolyExtrude? If you can upload the .C/.H files, that may be better for me to learn from. For practice, I compiled one of the example projects (SOP_Flatten) and it does not appear to be compilable (has the Non-compilable SOP badge) when I add it to the graph. I don't know what to do to make it compilable and therefore, accessible as a verb.
Edited by goingbananas - 2020年8月28日 12:31:24
159 posts
goingbananas
@EricSheng When you say upload the .dll, do you mean an HDK written to just act like the PolyExtrude? If you can upload the .C/.H files, that may be better for me to learn from. For practice, I compiled one of the example projects (SOP_Flatten) and it does not appear to be compilable (has the Non-compilable SOP badge) when I add it to the graph. I don't know what to do to make it compilable and therefore, accessible as a verb.
You can check out the example SOP_Star, there's a special way to write Verb SOP. Also, I've attached the source files you can free to modify and compile.
Image Not Found

Attachments:
SOP_SimpleExtrude.zip (31.7 KB)

27 posts
Thanks!
  • Quick Links