Scaling lights in solaris causes intensity bug in houdini GL

620   2   1
11 posts
I'm trying to create a lookdev scene that can be arbitrability scaled based on incoming geometry size.
This means I need to be able to scale the whole scene including the lights. When scaling the scene and lights during a karma render everything works as expected and the light looks the same independent of scale.
But in Houdini GL the light intensity doesn't match and changes depending on scale, ie scaling the scene by 10 blows out the viewport or scaling it down to 0.1 makes it all black.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? ie Scaling the whole stage including lights while keeping the lighting/look the same.

I have tried two approaches and both result in the same error.
1. All my lights have normalize power turned off. This works great in karma but fails in GL.
2. All my lights have normalize on and the intensity is connected to the main scale value by the power of 2. This also works great in karma but fails in GL.

I've attached a paired down hip file which has both approaches that can be switch between that clearly shows the bug.
I've also reported it to SideFX but wanted to post here as well in case any of you have come across the same issue before.

I'm currently running Houdini 19.5.716 on Windows 10.

Attachments:
houdini_solaris_scaling_light_bug.hip (712.9 KB)

193 posts
maybe you can ad a variable that changes the intensity acording to 1 + scale*ishoudinigl?

You could also use different sets of lights for different scales.
Edited by NicTanghe - 2023年9月30日 06:37:09
7770 posts
what if you only use distant lights, or a dome light?
  • Quick Links