Houdini 20 - Stability

1983   9   3
13 posts
Thought I mention it in case some houdini devs read it.
Houdini 20 runs into segmentation faults veeeeery often when working with feather templates (didn't even get to using those templates yet)

When trying out new things one connects wrong nodes and so on and normally those nodes should just error, but in H20 you just crash Houdini with segmentation faults, please add better error handling in a future build.
www.marioreitbauer.com
Groom & CFX TD
900 posts
Helli
If you fill a bug report you make sure the devs actually read about your issue and you will be usually updated when they fix it.
You might also receive some valuable information from the Support Staff (example: the issue is already addressed in the last production build)

https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/submit/ [www.sidefx.com]
13 posts
Andr
Helli
If you fill a bug report you make sure the devs actually read about your issue and you will be usually updated when they fix it.
You might also receive some valuable information from the Support Staff (example: the issue is already addressed in the last production build)

https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/submit/ [www.sidefx.com]
Yea might do that
Edited by Helli - 2023年11月12日 15:08:11
www.marioreitbauer.com
Groom & CFX TD
スタッフ
637 posts
I second that, if you find a reproducible crash please report it, including the required steps to get the crash.

We try to test as much as possible, but there are inevitably combinations of nodes & settings that haven't been tested and can cause these crashes.
Kai Stavginski
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
233 posts
Kai - opened up the feather files from content library… it will take me some time to wrap my head around everything that’s going on in there, but I have to tell you - the feathers looks amazing. Seeing how quickly they render in Karma XPU is mind boggling!
スタッフ
637 posts
Thanks Luke,

keep in mind if you're starting with those files, you're jumping in at the deep end. We will have easier, simpler files in a while.

Having said that, if you manage to figure those out, you're well prepared.

Also, I'll be working on making many of the things Andriy had to do much simpler in the future, including in upcoming daily builds.
Kai Stavginski
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
233 posts
KaiStavginski
Thanks Luke,

keep in mind if you're starting with those files, you're jumping in at the deep end. We will have easier, simpler files in a while.

Having said that, if you manage to figure those out, you're well prepared.

Also, I'll be working on making many of the things Andriy had to do much simpler in the future, including in upcoming daily builds.

That’s awesome Kai thank you for the update.
375 posts
@LukeP i prepared some simpler example files for the Hive's feather presentation you can finde them here:
https://www.sidefx.com/houdini-hive/houdini-20-hive/#feathers [www.sidefx.com]
Jonas Sorgenfrei
FX/PIPELINE TD | RISE Visual Effects Studios
233 posts
JonasSorgenfrei
@LukeP i prepared some simpler example files for the Hive's feather presentation you can finde them here:
https://www.sidefx.com/houdini-hive/houdini-20-hive/#feathers [www.sidefx.com]

Thank you Jonas. WIll take a look. Much appreciated. Where could I download the scene files?
Edited by LukeP - 2023年11月14日 13:28:57
375 posts
LukeP
Where could I download the scene files?
You're welcome If you follow the link you will find a Download Scene Files button below the video
Jonas Sorgenfrei
FX/PIPELINE TD | RISE Visual Effects Studios
  • Quick Links