I have decided HD is too much hassle

5004   8   4
4 posts
even more than any autodesk product
I can't get a straight answer noe a clean install on any effing machine i got. Too much research to find out if it will run on my box etc.
I un installed it.
G'by
Houdini is Out of the Box.
249 posts
reidh
even more than any autodesk product
I can't get a straight answer noe a clean install on any effing machine i got. Too much research to find out if it will run on my box etc.
I un installed it.
G'by

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=415&Itemid=269 [sidefx.com]

I can't quite understand what is too difficult to research? Top left, Products > System Requirements.

But then you just said you uninstalled it, so you did get it running?

I'm confused. :shock:
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
4 posts
the first time I tried to install it, as of last week, just at the moment of install, it gave me a choice of what kind of license to install. I knew nothing about this. But on the system requirements near the bottom it says integrated graphic cards are not supported. Which means if you have a laptop with the OEM of the brand name , Dell for instance and a 1535 stu stu studio (piece of crap) it is not supported, so all of this time has been wasted. Sorry.
Houdini is Out of the Box.
257 posts
Nooo, dont give in.

I wouldn't let technical difficulties stop me from learning Houdini or even any other packages if i was in your shoes. You're missing out big time.. do you have other options like work or school facilities? ><

eitht.
299 posts
If everyone gave up this easily nothing would get done anywhere.
Drive, monkey, drive!
330 posts
yes ,

i too gave up seriously 2 or 3 times during several years

.. and here im .
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
13 posts
Well, I have a nice XPS laptop with a 555GTX Nvidia card that runs Vue xStream with scenes having 3B polygons, ZBrush, City Engine, and Max2012 without a single hitch, but this OGL wonder is a nightmare.

I'd understand if I had a machine with a clunky graphics on the MB setup. But this software with its apparent requirement of high-end professional graphics cards is kind of lost in the early 90s.

All the major packages have realized that other/gaming cards can work well, yet here I am watching flashing black screens as i attempt to use it. I got the learning (HD) version for my kid to use, but he's not going to have a pro card so it's a waste of cash.

I don't need the license myself, because as noted I have some great software that actually works on non-boutique hardware.

It really did look promising, but this Open GL stuff is ridiculous.
130 posts
Very interesting ;-)

I had a success starting H11 on all kinds of low-cost machines… including at least one netbook with ATOM and an integrated video card.

From my - very moderate - experience it might be the OS and the drivers that are the problem. Fore example, I had succeeded to run H11 on an old Toshiba laptop with GeForce 6200 - but only under Ubuntu, as I could not find any recent drivers for XP, and H11 failed to start on Windows.

Cheers,
Greg
349 posts
My Sony Viao lappy has an intel integrated graphics chip, and other than a bit of stuttering when dropping a node in the network view, Houdini works fine.
  • Quick Links