Houdini Apprnetice and Cache

2974   3   1
15 posts
Hi,

Starting to learn Houdini, I'm a former compositing artist (Media Illusion, yes that old) and always was kind of attracted by Houdini since version 8, but never got the time to go beyond the installation of trial until now…

I've got a lot of question, but here is the first one that I try to resolve :

Is caching simulation possible with Apprentice ?

I want to cache a fluid simulation, I tried several tutorial, but was unable to do it (the problem might be on my side), but then it struck me, is it even permitted with the Apprentice ? I tried the File node, nothing, and I saw tutorial speaking of a Dynamic node in the OUT context but it doesn't exist…

Thanks for your help,

Jean-Luc
12 posts
Hi Jean-Luc,
with Apprentice you're not allowed to output .sim files, which are the ones that would allow you to resume simming at any point or give the DOPnet a “initial pose”.

Though if you want to cache out the RESULTS of your sim, it's completely possible, as long as you take your data out of dopnet into sops, and then use a rop output node, or a file node set to write.
15 posts
Ok, thanks a lot.

Having thought about it I also thought it would be a little too easy to let free version save simulations ^^;…
373 posts
^ That being said I don't know anybody that actually saves the .sim files. In the past 3 years I've only had to use .sim files maybe once or twice, and it was only a temporary thing I needed until I got a script working.
Ian Farnsworth
  • Quick Links