Creating Curves from Mesh Edges

4395   2   1
2 posts
This is probably very easy but not something I am familiar with doing in Houdini. How would I take a geometry object, then find an edge that is roughly down the center of the object in a certain axis, and then create a new curve from that edge? I know how this can be done in MAYA using a bit of MEL by calculating the middle between verts and then looking for a nearby face to grab edges from. But how would you approach something like this in Houdini? I've looked around but can't seem to come up with an answer to how to do this? (Yes, as you may have guessed, regardless of my login name, I am not yet a True Houdini Master) Thanks in advance!

-John-
1391 posts
I don't know what do you want to do exactly :?

But If you wanna add parallel edge along specify Axis or direction on the object and finally draw a curve on this edge , So you can use “Clip (or Knife) SOP” and “Add SOP” 8)

Check Attached file.

If NO , Explain more clearly 8)

Attachments:
JK_Edge_Curve.hip (58.3 KB)

https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
2 posts
Hi Joker,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier… had some things going on this week and unable to keep up with a few things here online. I will open up your file and check it out and let you know if that was the answer to the problem. Thanks!

Hmaster22

Joker386
I don't know what do you want to do exactly :?

But If you wanna add parallel edge along specify Axis or direction on the object and finally draw a curve on this edge , So you can use “Clip (or Knife) SOP” and “Add SOP” 8)

Check Attached file.

If NO , Explain more clearly 8)
  • Quick Links