Multiple cloud renders through one machine?

2635   1   0
45 posts
Hey guys,

We're experimenting with the EC2 cloud rendering via HQueue. Due to our security situation, we're behind a proxy, and we can only let one machine through the proxy to interface with Amazon. That much works great - we can render on the cloud from that single machine.

We're wondering, is it possible to use that single machine to manage multiple, concurrent renders on the cloud? We'd like our artists to be able to submit .hip files to this single open machine for cloud rendering, but we're not quite sure if this is possible.

- Is it even possible to use one machine to manage multiple renders from different .hip files on EC2?

- Is it possible to send off a render to the cloud from the command line, provided our ROPs are set up appropriately, and we've gone through the pre-flight process?

- Would there be issues with multiple hython instances trying to bind the progress http server to the same port? Is there another, non-web-based way to monitor progress?

- Is this the kind of thing that could be handled with a local HQueue server, managing multiple cloud renders?

Thanks!
45 posts
Just to update my own post… I found a bunch of promising stuff to dig into in $HFS/houdini/scripts/hqueue

If we decide to go this route, I'll let you guys know how it goes.
  • Quick Links