Exporting Fracture as keyframed data

3465   2   2
4 posts
I was wondering if it is at all possible to export fracture sims as key framed data so that they can be used in a video game engine. I am able to export and get cache data inside of 3Ds Max of the fracture working, but I can not do anything with that cache data as the game engine that I am using does not support that type of data. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this working of if this is even possible.
Staff
2540 posts
One approach is to write out the animation curves from the Dynamics simulation using Channel Operators or CHOPs for short. CHOPs can be used to read and create motion channels for the RBD simulation.

If you are using the Houdini12.5 Bullet simulation approach where you have individual simulation DOP objects for each bullet RBD object, then you can in any CHOP network, add a Dynamics CHOP pointing at your DOPs simulation and fetch all the animation channel data from the simulation. From there you can extract the translate t? and rotate r? and pivot animation channels. I believe there are few files out on either the Side Effects or OdForce forums.

If you are using the new Packed Primitive approach where you just have an animated point cloud, you can use the Geometry CHOP pointing to the SOP that reads in the final simulation geometry to fetch the point positions along with the orient quaternion attribute to get the orientation of the instance packed fragment geometry referenced by that point. Each packed fragment primitive is in essence an instance point. You need to just unpack each prim in turn and save as an instance .bgeo on disk and then rework the points to use proper instancing. That is if you are using Engine to do the work as Engine currently doesn't support the pack workflow as of yet.

You could convert the packed fragments in to an alembic hierarchy as well if your game engine supports that.
There's at least one school like the old school!
1 posts
Hi,
I am trying to import the orient attribute, and cant figure it out. ops:
I can see my dop import has that attribute, but when i try to scope it, my Geometry node(in CHOPS) goes to error… I am working with packed primitives.
  • Quick Links