project "Houdini, a great modeler"

260343   609   9
1755 posts
MartybNz
RMB on the tool ‘Set to Default’ does fix that.

Yes, it does; for the current session. Next time you restart Houdini you have to do it again.
But not only this is a problem - I think Houdini should have the defaults of some tools set to the value that's mostly used, wouldn't you agree?

For extrude would be use normals and for bevel would be high density round.
4189 posts
For permanent defaults just use the cog wheel, top right.

As for defaults, sure - heuristics should be used., maybe they should be embedded in the Desktops. ie the modelling desktop should have this setup.

Though I'm liking that you have to think about it. Works better in the long run
1755 posts
Thanks, that's very useful. Didn't cross my mind to check there, but then again I'm still like a blind person in a labyrinth when in Houdini.

Any idea why when setting the bevel repetitions to 2 it goes to 4 rows of polys?
So ‘0’ is for one row of polys (the original one), ‘1’ is for two rows (the original split in two) and then ‘2’ creates four rows of polys instead of three.

At first I thought the algorithm is “power of two”:
'0' -> 1 row
'1' -> 2 rows
'2' -> 4 rows
but then:
'3' -> 6 rows
What gives?
Also, what if I need 3 rows?
Is this an overlook or a feature?
How about number of repetitions creates the same number of polygon rows?
So the default and minimum value would start at ‘1’, set it to ‘2’ to have two rows, to ‘3’ to have three rows of polys and so forth.
Edited by - May 5, 2014 20:28:52
4189 posts
Not sure, 3 repetitions appears to be working. H 13.0.401, OsX

Attachments:
3 reps.png (107.6 KB)

1755 posts
Working as in… not being 5 but 6?
I did miscount the number of rows for 3 reps, it's true, but replace “5” with “6” in my comment and what I've said is just as valid (or at least remains to be seen if that's the case).

Here, I've edited above and marked the edited text with red.
Of course, now I can ask what if I want 5 rows of polys? I'm not going to test with bigger numbers in the hope I'll figure out a pattern, I'll just wait for a dev. to come and clarify this.

edited for typos
Edited by - May 5, 2014 22:56:43
4189 posts
Isn't it just the Fibonacci number?

3 reps = 2+3, 5 reps = 4+5, 8 = 7+8 etc

edit: perhaps the label should be ‘rabbits’ not ‘repetitions’
1755 posts
Yeah, no, the pattern seems to be “even numbers”
For some reason the devs. thought this (image below) wouldn't look sexy.
(I'm obviously joking, I can't possibly know the reasons)
Edited by - May 6, 2014 00:30:02

Attachments:
sexy_bevel.jpg (117.7 KB)

4189 posts
..so what happens if you count the lines?
1755 posts
MartybNz
..so what happens if you count the lines?

A star will go nova
I'm not sure what you're tryingto say, but I was talking about polygon rows the whole time, so if that's relevant regarding your point, you might want to revisit it.
4189 posts
Not sure how one misses the correlation.

Add 1 lines to a poly and there are 2 polys
add 2 lines and there are 3 polys
add 5 lines and there are 6 polys.
1755 posts
You lost me completely at this point.

I was talking about a number (the value of repetitions which has no relation to the # of edges) and how does that influence the # of polygon rows generated.

Nothing about edges.
4189 posts
I really do think it should be call the rabbit generator as the Op generates repetitions of lines at a rate of the rabbits
1755 posts
MartybNz
I really do think it should be call the rabbit generator as the Op generates repetitions of lines at a rate of the rabbits

may I suggest cats instead of rabbits?
1755 posts
All joking aside (even though I'd laugh my ass out if devs would decide to put cats or rabbits instead of repetitions in the next version), the pattern is as I previously said:
number of ploys = repetitions * 2
Which are even numbers with the exception of the first value obviously. But the question is why?
1265 posts
Is there a way to set up a hot key for Edge Loop?
I get that it is just a poly split with Quad Strip enabled, but for some reason I can't find it in the hotkeys editor.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
Staff
4159 posts
Werner Ziemerink
Is there a way to set up a hot key for Edge Loop?
I get that it is just a poly split with Quad Strip enabled, but for some reason I can't find it in the hotkeys editor.

You can right-click on the tool in the shelf, go to the hotkeys tab, and set it there. That is strange it doesn't show up when searching in the Edit > Hotkeys… dialog.
I'm o.d.d.
1265 posts
goldleaf
You can right-click on the tool in the shelf, go to the hotkeys tab, and set it there. That is strange it doesn't show up when searching in the Edit > Hotkeys… dialog.

Thanks goldleaf. Much appreciate your help.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
4189 posts
McNistor
All joking aside (even though I'd laugh my ass out if devs would decide to put cats or rabbits instead of repetitions in the next version), the pattern is as I previously said:
number of ploys = repetitions * 2
Which are even numbers with the exception of the first value obviously. But the question is why?

Not sure Why is really relevenet here; reviewing a few other programs and the manual for SI, it appears that everyone baring Nuke and Houdini implements explicit bevelling option, some with more options, some with less.

Limited implicit implementations aren't the current flavour for modellers

SI and Blender appear to have the best executions today.
122 posts
simply
Poly modeling.
from pinguin asset

Attachments:
Pinp.jpg (166.3 KB)

1755 posts
MartybNz
Not sure Why is really relevenet here; reviewing a few other programs and the manual for SI, it appears that everyone baring Nuke and Houdini implements explicit bevelling option, some with more options, some with less.

Limited implicit implementations aren't the current flavour for modellers

SI and Blender appear to have the best executions today.

It was more of a rhetorical why than a real question, like a cry to the heavens (man drops in knees raises arms towards the sky and screams whyyyy)

Currently this is the only problem I seem to have with the bevel tool - not allowing the user input a desired odd number of subdivisions. And of course, one less important (but still not negligible) the default which is set to flat.
Yes yes, I know I can change it for good, but still it doesn't make sense to not improve when you can, especially when there's so little to do in order to cross it from a list of improvements.
  • Quick Links