AIR on houdini

4052   3   1
175 posts
Do you have some experience with AIR and houdini?
It seems to be a very fast renderer, how does it compare to mantra?
Mantra's GI and ambient occlusion are not too rapid.
Also is there the ability to create vex shaders for AIR since it's possible for PRman, or do one have to create shaders in AIR GUI (vshade or something) and put them into library?
It is not expensive in compare to PRman and seems to be “production proven”.
I have a bit of experience in AIR and rhino and it have a nice and fast GI and overall performance is very promising.

Peter
405 posts
Hey Peter,

I haven't actually worked with renderman just mantra and mental ray, but I was under the impression that AIR was a renderman compliant renderer was compatable with rib files. I don't see why you could not create the renderman shaders in Vex and then render out in ROPS with Air set has your target renderer. However you can not do this in the learning edition only in commerical editions. Learning editions are constricted to mantra only. I was counting on that setup to work, and I was getting ready to post such a question because I was seriously thinking about using Render Drive with Houdini in the near future. Their render times seem to be fast does anyone here have a take on render drive and even better render drive with houdini?

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
175 posts
Well, it's a pity we can't test renderman with apprentice.
Unfortunately I don't know about renderdrive and houdini, I saw renderdrive on a feir 3 years ago, it was impressive but limited, and the look was cg so I wasn't interested in it.

About AIR yet…is it possible to run distributed rendering using only 1 license of Houdini master and many Air licenses?

Peter
405 posts
Hey,

Network Rending is possible with any compatable renderer in houdini commerical versions again this is not in the apperentice version either. lol Sorry. Same wall. So if Air is compatable which I think it is then yes you could do a network render to a number of Air Licenses. Maybe I will just check out the cost of Renderman. I don't know. The only 3 renderers I have liked so far was Mental Ray, Renderman, and Renderdrive. Well I like Mantra too but its slow sometimes, but now is it fast on NURBS.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
  • Quick Links