HSITE in OSX

4713   9   2
230 posts
I am using $HSITE successfully in work where the os is linux.
But how to have it work in OS X? I have set the environment variable in .bash_profile:
export HSITE=/Users/username/Documents/Houdini
and I can see it when running hconfig -ap:
$HSITE = /Users/csp/Documents/Houdini
but nothing inside there will be available inside Houdini, not the python script under python2.6libs subdirectory or otls or anything else.

What am I doing wrong in OSX?
443 posts
Just try this:

HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH= $HOME/houdini10.0/otls
MyVolume/my_projects/otlsOtherDrive/more/otls/:$HFS/houdini/otls

or

HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH = “@/otls;$MYJOB/otl;$HOME/houdini12.0/otl”
443 posts
You can get your all otl directories by:

echo $HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH
443 posts
Check this one:

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=26537 [sidefx.com]
443 posts
And

http://www.circusmonkey.com.au/circusmonkey/OSTips.html [circusmonkey.com.au]
230 posts
PradeepBarua
You can get your all otl directories by:

echo $HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH

Thanks for the reply, but I don't want to use HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH, I want the HSITE, is not just the otls that missing, there python scripts, toolbars, dso, presets, icons, etc.

Also, I don't think it has to do with which env variable I am using, something else I am doing wrong using Houdini's env variables in OSX.
918 posts
Are you starting Houdini from that terminal session, or via the Finder?
Vars exported by bash are not system wide, you need to open a terminal and run the Houdini setup from there, then enter houdini or houdinifx to launch houdini from within that environment. That should do it. Depending on your OSX version, there are various methods for setting vars system wide.

I hope this helps.
230 posts
Andy58
Are you starting Houdini from that terminal session, or via the Finder?
Vars exported by bash are not system wide, you need to open a terminal and run the Houdini setup from there, then enter houdini or houdinifx to launch houdini from within that environment. That should do it. Depending on your OSX version, there are various methods for setting vars system wide.

I hope this helps.

from terminal, the houdini setup will run automatically with a script I have in .bash_profile and all I do is type houdinifx. Also, I am on OS X Yosemite.

The variables are recognized by houdini, from textport when I am running
setenv $HSITE
I will get the right path

But it seems to ignores everything inside there.
918 posts
As you mentioned it works at work on linux are you doing this from OSX in the same environment or at home?

This maybe obvious, but I just picked this up from the docs:

The $HSITE directory must contain a houdinix.y directory (such as houdini9.0). If no such directory exists, Houdini will not search in $HSITE.
230 posts
Andy58
As you mentioned it works at work on linux are you doing this from OSX in the same environment or at home?

This maybe obvious, but I just picked this up from the docs:

The $HSITE directory must contain a houdinix.y directory (such as houdini9.0). If no such directory exists, Houdini will not search in $HSITE.

Yup, I had totally forgot about that note on documentation. This way will work, now I have to find how to make it independent of Houdini's version same as in work.

Thanks Andy
  • Quick Links