Naming conventions for OTL Output

3681   3   1
86 posts
Is there a method or documentation concerning how to control the way Houdini Engine outputs geometry/geometry names in Maya? For example, if I have a simple /obj level OTL with a single Sphere /obj node inside, and then in SOPs if I assign two prim groups to the sphere geometry, my Maya heirarchy looks like so:

Object_my_otl
….Sphere
……..groupA_0
…………mesh
……..groupB_0
…………mesh

Anything in bold was created or added to the name of the Houdini node/group. There are several things I would like to have control over or change:
  • Not have Object prefix my otl nameNot have numbers appended to my group namesHave the actual prim group be exported as a mesh, instead of as an empty transform with the geometry parented underneath.
    I find the last point particularly irksome in Maya because I can't easily modify the meshes using mel, or in the Hypershade, because Maya complains about their not having unique names:
    More than one object matches name: mesh

Is there something in place already to control this, or is there a plan to add it?
818 posts
Christopher Hendryx
  • Not have Object prefix my otl name
  • The “Object_” portion of the name corresponds to the full name of the asset. There's probably no benefit in having the “Object_” prefix. I can probably remove them completely.

Christopher Hendryx
    Not have numbers appended to my group names
    • The “_0” is more of an implementation detail of Houdini. Unfortunately, it got exposed through Houdini Engine. And from the user's perspective, it's hard to predict when the number are incremented. It's certainly a common annoyance. Let me see if we can do something about it.

Christopher Hendryx
      Have the actual prim group be exported as a mesh, instead of as an empty transform with the geometry parented underneath.
      • Yeah, the “mesh” transform is probably unnecessary. Let me look into removing this too.

Sorry for the delayed reply!
Andrew / アンドリュー
818 posts
It took a bit longer than I thought, but I've made the changes to get rid of the unnecessary “Object_” prefix and the extra transform above the shape. The changes should be in the next build (13.0.680 and 14.0.237).

We can't remove the “_0” suffix at this point. For example, it's needed to distinguish cases where the group has both mesh and particles.
Andrew / アンドリュー
86 posts
Thanks, that is a great improvement!
  • Quick Links