H14 Apprentice freezes

2582   6   0
12 posts
Hi guys,

I post here because I don't know if my problem can be sent to support as a bug.

My system:

AMD 8350 FX
16 Gb Gskill DDR3 1800 (2x8Gb)
AMD Radeon R9 270X
SO: Windows 7 SP1 x64

When simulating fluids (standard flat tank from the shelf tab) my system freezes completely. I have to restart from the reset button of my PC, so I don't have any crash log on the temp dir to post here or send to support.

Also, I noticed if I create the flat tank from the shelf, but in case of start simulation I click on the “use opencl” option box on the fluid solver, it's an instant system freeze aswell.

I've tried with the three latest AMD display drivers: 14.4, 14.9 and the latest Omega drivers 14.12, all of them with exactly the same result: system freeze.

My system works fine, I don't think it's a hardware issue because I use this same machine to play sim driving games (Assetto Corsa and rFactor2) and I can play them at 1080p with GPU occupancy of 100% for hours without any glitch or temp problems.

Other times Houdini just closes with segmentation fault by only navigating the interface and seeing the tooltips, with just a blank scene.

Its driving me crazy trying to figure out where the problem is. I'm 99% sure it's AMD driver or OpenGL related, so I came here to ask if someone have a similar problem or somebody can give me some tips to test.

Thank you very much and please excuse my english :-(
12 posts
New update on the subject.

Tried latest daily build on Linux Mint on the same machine: the result is the same, system freezes while simulating a flip tank.

I changed several parameters on the flip fluid and I can reproduce the system freeze when setting particle separation < 0.12 in the flip object node inside the AutoDopNetwork.

This behaviour is the same both on Windows 7 x64 and Linux Mint 17.1 x64

Is anyone having a similar issue with an AMD FX and R9 270X?

I attach the hip file I'm testing in case somebody want to check it out. My system freeze when playing the simulation in a loop for a while.

Thanks in advance.

PS: To discard a hardware problem I ran FurMark and Prime95 at the same time to full stress the entire system and it was all Ok, so seems its not a hardware problem.

Attachments:
untitled.hipnc (1.6 MB)

4189 posts
Sounds like you're running out of Ram or Vram.
12 posts
MartybNz
Sounds like you're running out of Ram or Vram.

Hi Marty, thanks for your response.

I had checked it while running Houdini with the test hip file I posted. Vram topped at 350Mb, and Ram to 3.5Gb

It's Ok memory wise. I checked RAM with Memtest too to discard a hardware problem.

I'm lost at this problem :-(

Thank you.
4189 posts
Working fine on OsX 10.10.2, Nvidia 980, H14.0.242
12 posts
MartybNz
Working fine on OsX 10.10.2, Nvidia 980, H14.0.242

Thanks for checking it.
12 posts
Update on my problem:

Installed Real Flow 2014 Demo to check if it works with my setup and see if hardware and drivers are working ok with it. Did a 1.2M particle simulation, 8 threads and OpenCL enabled and all was fine.

ATM I'm 99% sure is a Houdini only problem with my hardware/drivers setup.

Anyone with a similar hardware setup is kind enough to test the hip file I posted earlier?

Thank you very much.
  • Quick Links