CG Workshop - Intro To Houdini 14

9054   5   1
13 posts
Hey Everyone,

CG Workshop is currently enrolling for the Intro To Houdini 14 course. I will cover a variety of material and get into many technical low level concepts, such as the math, geometry, and trigonometry involved in gaining complete control over an effect.

When it comes to making great FX, there aren't any push-­button solutions. This course helps to lay that groundwork to understand what is going on under the ‘hood’. I will take you step-­by-­step through the construction using production techniques in Houdini, right from looking at the UI and procedural modeling in Week 1, and eventually on to particles, grains and fluids.

We will cover methods that give complete control when you're procedurally fracturing geometry, creating dust and debris, dissolving effects, as well as procedural animation and modeling, to name a few.

http://training.cgsociety.org/course/introduction-to-fx-using-houdini [training.cgsociety.org]

Check it out and let me know if you have any questions!

Spencer
2 posts
Hi Spencer,

Is this course different than the previous “Introduction to FX using Houdini” ?

Your course “Fluids FX using Houdini” was awesome, I was lucky to join the course on May, last year and I learned so much. So I'm wondering if this new course will be different thant the previous Intro to FX you did in the past.

Thank's!
4 posts
Hello Spencer,

can you give me a bit more details how it works? I live in London and I have a job, I can train myself in the evenings and in the weekends but the time I can spend with this is limited. The FAQ says that usually 6-8 hours a week are enough, is that true to this course?
How frequently you have courses? If I wont have time for this one, then what do you think, when will be the next one? I know its hard to predict but I guess you can guess…

Thank you!
13 posts
German de Benito
Hi Spencer,

Is this course different than the previous “Introduction to FX using Houdini” ?

Your course “Fluids FX using Houdini” was awesome, I was lucky to join the course on May, last year and I learned so much. So I'm wondering if this new course will be different thant the previous Intro to FX you did in the past.

Thank's!

Hey German,

Glad you enjoyed the fluids course! This Intro course will be using Houdini 14, whereas the previous one was done with Houdini 12/12.5 so the material covered will be using the latest and greatest techniques Houdini offers.

Many of the examples and concepts taught will be similar to the previous course but also will be focusing a bit of time to the new Grain Solver so if you've done the previous Intro course, Im not sure if it would be worth your time and money to do this one.
13 posts
skaven
Hello Spencer,

can you give me a bit more details how it works? I live in London and I have a job, I can train myself in the evenings and in the weekends but the time I can spend with this is limited. The FAQ says that usually 6-8 hours a week are enough, is that true to this course?
How frequently you have courses? If I wont have time for this one, then what do you think, when will be the next one? I know its hard to predict but I guess you can guess…

Thank you!

I would say that most students who take the course have full time jobs or are full time students so I think it is definitely doable.

The way the course is structured is that there are 8 lessons, 1 per week. Each lesson has around 2 hours of video content. There is a lot of material covered and we do get into the technical low level concepts, math, etc.

It really is up to each student how much time they dedicate each week. Some just do the videos, some do the videos, assignments, and ask lots of questions. Its up to you. I wouldnt say that there is a minimum requirement you need to spend each week, but like anything else, the more time you put into it, the more you will get out of it.

I am not sure if or when I will run the Intro course again as I am slated to run my fluids course in the fall, so most likely it would be early next year. That is all TBD.

Thanks!
Spencer
10 posts
Hi Spencer,

I was wondering if the Fluid course you are teaching in September, is based off H14 as well by any chance?

Thank you very much,
Xavier.
  • Quick Links