Building From Source

14972   20   1
12 posts
Houdini engine in UE4 seems to be working well for me if I install the plugin in the binary version of UE4 from the launcher.

However, when I try to build from source I run into errors.

I'm working on windows 7 x64, visual studio 2013, houdini engine 14.0.303, and using source tree to integrate with github

Unreal Engine 4.7.5 (latest release from github) builds just fine on it's own and runs well.

I added the latest source for houdini engine from github to the plugins directory (\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine), re-ran the generate project files .bat to create the visual studio solution.

When I rebuild the UE4 solution I now get these errors:

1>—— Build started: Project: UE4, Configuration: Development_Editor x64 ——
1> Performing 5 actions (4 in parallel)
1> Resource ModuleVersionResource.rc.inl
1> Resource PCLaunch.rc
1>EXEC : fatal error RC1107: invalid usage; use RC /? for Help
1>
1> Module.HoudiniEngine.cpp
1> HoudiniEngine.generated.cpp
1>EXEC : fatal error RC1107: invalid usage; use RC /? for Help
1>
1> ——– End Detailed Actions Stats ———————————————————–
1>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: D:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.7_sourceBuild\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-HoudiniEngine.dll
1> Cumulative action seconds (8 processors): 0.00 building projects, 34.09 compiling, 0.00 creating app bundles, 0.00 generating debug info, 0.00 linking, 0.00 other
1> UBT execution time: 35.67 seconds
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command “..\..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development” exited with code -1.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 1 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I also tried starting again from scratch on another machine (and using C:\ instead of D:\) but still had the same error. I also tried unreal engine 4.7.3, 4.7.2 with the same results.

Thanks for any help, I'm a beginner when it comes to compiling C code.
173 posts
Hello thank you for reporting! We are aware of this problem and we are looking into it. I'll post the update here.
12 posts
Thanks for your response, I'll use the binary version in the meantime.
40 posts
I'm also getting the same /RC error building from source.
173 posts
Hello!

Are you compiling UE4 source from Github or UE4 source from the official installer? We are still trying to narrow down the problem, it does not seem to always show up and might be a UE4 issue.
40 posts
Compiling release tag source from github. I didn't even know there was another way to get the source code.
40 posts
I tried building source using the code from the official 4.7.6 engine installer and I get the /RC error there too.
173 posts
Hello!

It seems our build system does not encounter this error, but we do build against our own fork of UE4.

However, when I build against UE4 official repo, I do encounter RC errors. I am looking into that. This also does not happen on OS X.

I will keep you updated and thanks!
Edited by - May 13, 2015 15:52:05
40 posts
I'm getting a 404 page not found on that link. I don't think your unreal fork is publicly available.

It's weird that a straight fork with no modifications will work but the official repo doesn't. Is there a way to do a diff on the two repositories and see if any files are different for whatever reason?
40 posts
Cool. Your post gives a little more information for me to work with. That header file is (or should be) located at Runtime/Core/Public/Misc/CoreMiscDefines.h
173 posts
There's a solution for RC linking issue (posted inside the link above).

To fix it, please try the following:

1) In Visual Studio, go to Project - Properties - Configuration Properties - VC++ Directories.

2) In Include Directories, remove the trailing backslash from the last path (if it is already there). In case there is none, add one.

3) Rebuild the project.

I tested this with both 4.6 and 4.7 and it did work.
40 posts
So what did your include directories field look like? Mine was blank, so I added a single backslash and I'm still getting the /RC error on rebuild.
173 posts
I did add a single backslash and it worked. Weirdly, on subsequent compile, I got RC error and had to remove the slash. Then it compiled. I have not had RC problems after that. I will post a screenshot tomorrow. Hopefully that will help.

I am not sure why UE4 is generating invalid VS project for this case. Our build system does not rely on generated VS solution (we basically run somewhat patched version of UBT in order to integrate it with the rest of our build system) so we've never ran into this problem.
173 posts
After regenerating the project I am unable to bypass the RC issue as well, even after adding / removing backslashes. It seems like it's not a good solution.
40 posts
ttvdsfx
I did add a single backslash and it worked. Weirdly, on subsequent compile, I got RC error and had to remove the slash. Then it compiled. I have not had RC problems after that. I will post a screenshot tomorrow. Hopefully that will help.

Weird indeed. I will try this. But it's comforting to know that your include directories field was blank as well.
40 posts
ttvdsfx
After regenerating the project I am unable to bypass the RC issue as well, even after adding / removing backslashes. It seems like it's not a good solution.

Doh! Nevermind. I wonder if the issue is somewhere in the build .cs file…
173 posts
I think it's an issue with generated VS project file. I am going through UE4.vcxproj right now, hopefully something comes up.
173 posts
Hello! I've located the issue

It was caused by string define being passed from build.cs file. I've committed a fix and it should be in tomorrow's build as a well as available through Github tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!
40 posts
And thank you for so vigilantly pursuing the matter.
  • Quick Links